ATX Community

1099-MISC BOX 7 ?

Eli

Taxpayer recieved a 1099 MISC from the Texas Highway Patrol for mileage reimbursement. They listed the amount in box 7 (nonemployee compensation). The taxpayer turned the check over to the the city manager since he is paid by the city.

What would be the proper way to report the 1099 on his return?

I was thinking of zeroing out the amount with mileage, but not sure that would be the correct thing to do.

Thanks!

Eli

i would not put down mileage to zero it out, that is a deduction he can't substantiate and now you have to add a car etc.

we have lots of these for doctors that get checks from insurance companies and owe it back to their employer.

put on line 21 and then show the next line as paid back to employer under requirements of contract

i would not put down mileage to zero it out, that is a deduction he can't substantiate and now you have to add a car etc.

we have lots of these for doctors that get checks from insurance companies and owe it back to their employer.

put on line 21 and then show the next line as paid back to employer under requirements of contract

Thanks, Michael for another option :-)

Eli

The reason I said to put it as mileage is that that is what he got paid for. If audited, which is not likely on the amounts, an explanation of what the 1099 payment is for would be all it would take. He does not have to have records to support amounts reimbursed, as the IRS leaves the substantiation support up to the employer that reimbursed. You could, as MM suggested, just put it on an expense line with an explanation, but it was for mileage.