ATX Community

Death of Dependent

fredazcpa

Clients mother, whom he has been supporting and claiming as a dependent passed away

efiled return, got a reject for Date of Death informatin for a dependent is missing

in ATX where (if you can) enter that infromation, I see the box for the child without a SSN, or is this a return that will need to be paperfiled?

thanks for the help

It used to be possible to efile if DOD was during the tax year, guess SSA updates their information; but NOT if DOD was this calendar year AFTER the tax year you're filing, SSA not updated yet or something like that. But, your issue sounds like the DOD was just missing and needed to be included before retransmitting. Let us know. We never know when we'll have to file one of these.

turns out I had to match the number of months lived in home with the months alive, I had entered (because it rolled over) 12 months in home, when the mother had passed away in June, changed to 6 months went though fine, enfact have done another one and not had any trouble with it

turns out I had to match the number of months lived in home with the months alive, I had entered (because it rolled over) 12 months in home, when the mother had passed away in June, changed to 6 months went though fine, enfact have done another one and not had any trouble with it

Thanks for that info, Fred!

Eli

Now, that's good to know. Interesting. When a baby is born during the year, don't we have to use 12 to tell the software the baby lived with the parents for all of the months it was alive, even if less than 12? Or, are we supposed to use the actual number of months?

Lion Now you bring poltics to tax law (LOL), your real questions is when does life beging accroding to IRS at least 9 months prior, therefore the use of 12 months on a new born, and before anyone jumps about those Oct thru Dec, yes I understand, its just that the IRS doesn't

Even without getting into when a baby becomes a person, the fact that the IRS treats those that are born during a year differently from those that die during a year is a pain to explain. And, then there's adoptions. Or, what about an immigrant who can actually CHOOSE whether to be taxed as if a resident for the entire year?! If they couldn't make uniform work for Uniform Definition of a Child, we have no hope when adding all other ages!