ATX Community

Another dependent ?

Eli

Mom earned 20,510 total income. Mom pays all the bills including food. 22 year old college student daughter earned 14,470. Mom also claims her parent as a dependent. Can Daughter file on her own & will mom still qualify for EIC if daughter is claimed as qualifying child for EIC purpose only? Or does daughter lose the dependency whether mom claims her or not?

Thanks!

Eli

I don't think the daughter can be a qualifying child for mom because with their incomes, how is it possible the daughter does not provide more than half of her own support?

Is that famous "more than half of its own support" still valid for EIC in this case? I know it is for head of household.

No support needed for EIC.

Work through the support worksheet for dependency. Is mom receiving any notaxable income, child support, etc., that she spends on supporting her daughter? We don't decide these issues; we ask questions and compute.

EIC, HOH, and dependency, each have their own overlapping but slightly different requirements. Work through them one by one.

Is that famous "more than half of its own support" still valid for EIC in this case? I know it is for head of household.

It doesn't look like it is for EIC. I thought Eli sounded like he wanted to claim daughter as a dependent also, and he should definitely do the support worksheet first. I'm glad I don't do a lot of these whose kid is it and who gets the EIC returns.