ATX Community

E-FILE REJECT QUESTION

AnnieR

I have a new client, MFS, has been separated from wife for a year. They are not divorced, she has a restraining order against client so he cannot contact her. I have filed his return 3 times, well, today is #4, with 4 different last names. He says the SS# he has for her is correct, but return has been rejected 3 times. Tried the 4th name today. What do I do and how can my client find the correct name? I told him to contact his or her lawyer, but, neither of them has filed for divorce or has a lawyer...him because he is unemployed with no money. He tells me that he left with only his clothes, has no paperwork from the marriage. What do I do next?

AnnieR

Give him a paper return to mail. Tell him he can get any prior year MFJ returns directly from the IRS that would have her information AT THE TIME they filed. If she's changed her name with the SSA since then, he still won't have the info to e-file this year.