ATX Community

Fax Machine Ideas?

Tax Prep by Deb

I've been out looking for just a simple fax machine and it is so frustrating!!!!

I have had the machine I am replacing for about three years and until a month or so ago I was extremely pleased. The problem is that to fax I now have to baby sit it and practically force feed every page being sent. So I decided it was time to replace it.

I hope you guys have some good feed back as I am perplexed! The former unit worked wonderful with my answsering machine. This is a must because I do not have a dedicated fax line. Almost everyoe I have looked into says it will work with an answsering machine hooked up to it! The problem is my office is in my home, or should I say in a separate room attatched to the garage totally seperate from the rest of the house. I do not want to if at all possible to have to go out to the office everytime I want to check my messages on the answering machine. It would seem like to me that if three years ago technology could figure the differece between a phone call versus a fax that today's technology should likewise be able to do this.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Preferenes? I really do not want the all in one units, way too much machine to have to learn, I really just want something that will send and receive faxes.

Thanks for any imput.

Deb!

Deb, there are a lot of options. One thing to consider, if you have high speed internet and your computer is on all the time you can use the computer as your fax machine. But you should be able to find a simple fax machine that can distinguishes the difference between a voice call and a fax machine call. The machine recognizes the fax signals and takes the call, or if it is a voice call it sends it to the answering machine. I don't think the answering machine has to be in the same place, as long as you have a phone cord to the answering machine. If you liked your old machine, look for the newer model of the same thing, first on the manufacturer's web site, then on eBay, Buy.com or NewEgg.

I've been out looking for just a simple fax machine and it is so frustrating!!!!

I have had the machine I am replacing for about three years and until a month or so ago I was extremely pleased. The problem is that to fax I now have to baby sit it and practically force feed every page being sent. So I decided it was time to replace it.

I hope you guys have some good feed back as I am perplexed! The former unit worked wonderful with my answsering machine. This is a must because I do not have a dedicated fax line. Almost everyoe I have looked into says it will work with an answsering machine hooked up to it! The problem is my office is in my home, or should I say in a separate room attatched to the garage totally seperate from the rest of the house. I do not want to if at all possible to have to go out to the office everytime I want to check my messages on the answering machine. It would seem like to me that if three years ago technology could figure the differece between a phone call versus a fax that today's technology should likewise be able to do this.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Preferenes? I really do not want the all in one units, way too much machine to have to learn, I really just want something that will send and receive faxes.

Thanks for any imput.

Deb!

I have a machine that is close to what you are talking about, I think. Problem is I don't know if they still make the model as it is over 3yrs old now, but might have a newer model that does the same. What I have is a Panasonic KX-FPG371, which is just the phone (cordless) caller ID and Fax. What it does, when the answering machine is activated the message will say, whatever you want it to say if you prefer, "that you have reach so and so tax company, if you are sending a fax, please send now, if you are leaving a voice message please wait for the tone". Works fine for me. Don't know if that is what you are looking for or not. You could probably go to various Office type stores on the internet and check for them, or Panasonic's web site. I actually got mine at Sam's Club for the best price.

I went through the same thing when an old HP died that knew whether it was receiving a fax or voice message. Then went through two Brothers in rapid succession that said they'd do the same thing but didn't work consistently and died young. Went looking for an HP or anything other than Brother. Was ignoring the all-in-ones. But, decided that having a flat bed would come in handy when needing to fax or copy from a book. Bought an HP color all-in-one and started using it as a stand-alone fax and copier. Eventually hooked it up to hubby's computer when his color printer died. Then started using its scanner ability. It's a few years old now, and we love and use ALL its features.

I went through the same thing when an old HP died that knew whether it was receiving a fax or voice message. Then went through two Brothers in rapid succession that said they'd do the same thing but didn't work consistently and died young. Went looking for an HP or anything other than Brother. Was ignoring the all-in-ones. But, decided that having a flat bed would come in handy when needing to fax or copy from a book. Bought an HP color all-in-one and started using it as a stand-alone fax and copier. Eventually hooked it up to hubby's computer when his color printer died. Then started using its scanner ability. It's a few years old now, and we love and use ALL its features.

I use www.kall8.com. You get a toll free number for $2 per month. This also includes fax and voice mail. In addition to $2 per month you pay about 6 cent per minute. They will send you a email containing the fax.

I just hooked up a new HP Laserjet 3050 all-in-one to my system here at the office where I have an answering machine built into my phone. I had someone send me a fax while the answering machine was turned on. It automatically switched to the fax machine. So far, so good! I'm going to love not having to turn on the fax board in my computer everytime I get a fax.

I had trouble connecting a fax and answering machine on the same line, so I subscribed to ring master with my telephone company. I have two phone numbers but one line. One long ring is for my phone and two short rings is for the fax. The fax machine recognizes the two short rings and I don't have to do anything at all when a fax comes in. Works great even when I'm not here. I don't remembe the cost, but it wasn't much. I now have a package deal on my phone where everything is included in one price. This is about, I believe, my third fax machine since I got ring master and they all have worked fine.

Gene

Thanks to all who responded!

I believe I now have a fax machine that will do everything I needed it to do. I can't believe how complicated it was to get one that had the same capabilities as the one I'm replacing!

For the most part it turns out that the instructions in the book are not always right. The manual said I had to connect it a certain way, (which I didn't want to do) but as it turns out it works just fine the way I had my old one set up. The only change I had to make was with my answering machine. I have one ring less time to answer it, but thats really a small thing, I hope!

As for the second number on the same line? well I looked into that as well but my phone company said it wasn't available in my location, but they would be glad to hook me up a designated fax line for an additional fee! Makes me wonder if the phone company and the fax companies are in cohoots with one another!

But again, A sincere thanks to all who took time out to help me with this! I look forward to having the opportunity to help you all one day!

Deb!

THis response may be a little late for you Deb, but for any others out there, here is another thought.

I use a fax service from http://www.packetel.com. For $3.95 per month, they will forward your faxes to your email (actually 2 different emails if needed) in PDF or TIFF format . This allows me all of the following:

1. to archive all my faxes to client folders on my hard drive

2. get my faxes from anywhere I can access email

3. to easily forward faxes to others in email

4. to avoid printing them unless I need to.

5. To easily delete the spam faxes without wasting my telephone time, paper or ink.

Now as for sending faxes. Most computers still have a modem where you can fax directly from your PC. If you need a signature, scan one in and use a graphic program to crop it and convert it to JPG or any format your software requires (can even be pasted into ATX).

And finally for those item that are not in your PC, get a good scanner, it will also help you electronically archive your client data and should work with ATX's new scan and fill (something I have yet to try out).

Joel

Terry,

I checked with my phone company and they say it's not available here.

I did find a machine though that works exactly the way I needed it to. It's a Brother Intellifax-2910. I ignored the instructions on how to set it up and went ahead and set it up the way my old machine was set up, tested it several different times and have never missed a single fax.

This is one of those rare times that reading the instructions was getting me into trouble!

Deb!