ATX Community

NT - anyone from Boise on the board?

BulldogTom

So my son (6'3" 270lbs) wants to play college football. He is the starting center on his HS team. He will be a senior next year. He wants to go to Boise State. It is killing me, but it is his dream and not mine so I try to support him. He asked me if I would root for his team every year if he were playing for Boise against Fresno St.. I told him I would root for him to have a good game. That is about the best I can do. We are going to take him to a football camp at Boise State this summer. Since the camp is 5 days, we decided to make it our summer vacation as well and all of us are going.

What should I see while I am there? Any really "can't miss" things to do in Boise? Maybe the worlds largest spud?

You guys were all great two years ago when I asked about boston. We had the time of our lives. So can you help me out?

Tom

Lodi, CA

I think your son should check out the UConn Huskies! Did you see them beat Notre Dame on prime time TV? Coach Edsell is a class act. But, he has to feel at home, because it will be his home for four years. When my son was at Penn State (not as a football player) I was OK with rooting for the Nittany Lions, except when they played my alma mater Michigan State! You can't always stand up for your kids. But, if he's on the team, I think you're going to have to get used to cheering for Boise, no matter what. (After all, you really win either way.)

So my son (6'3" 270lbs) wants to play college football. He is the starting center on his HS team. He will be a senior next year. He wants to go to Boise State. It is killing me, but it is his dream and not mine so I try to support him. He asked me if I would root for his team every year if he were playing for Boise against Fresno St.. I told him I would root for him to have a good game. That is about the best I can do. We are going to take him to a football camp at Boise State this summer. Since the camp is 5 days, we decided to make it our summer vacation as well and all of us are going.

What should I see while I am there? Any really "can't miss" things to do in Boise? Maybe the worlds largest spud?

You guys were all great two years ago when I asked about boston. We had the time of our lives. So can you help me out?

Tom

Lodi, CA

It's not in Boise, but if you're trekking all the way to Idaho, the "Trail fo the Coeur D'Alenes" is astoundingly beautiful. It is a hiking/biking path that starts in Plummer and goes all the way to Kellogg -- fifty miles of rail-to-trail (and then on to Mullan at the MT border). Link to trail info There's good info if you Google it, as well, and you can follow the trail on Google Earth too.

Coeur D'Alene itself, right on the lake, is also a fun and friendly town. There's a motel called the "Flamingo Motel" where all the rooms have different themes -- Route 66, Wild West, Golf, etc.

I went through there last summer on my bike trip and fell in love with the area.

Catherine

Hi

I am in Boise. There are a large number of fun things to do in the area. It really depends on how active you want to be. A popular thing to do in town is to float the Boise River in an inner tube. The river goes right past the BSU campus. One can ride bikes or walk the greenbelt that runs along the river. Other popular things to do include visiting the Sawtooth Mountains in Stanley. White water rafting is fun in the summer and goes from mild to wild.

By the way the spuds are grown in the eastern part of the state and Boise is in the western part, no spuds grown here.

Jeff

Hi

I am in Boise. There are a large number of fun things to do in the area. It really depends on how active you want to be. A popular thing to do in town is to float the Boise River in an inner tube. The river goes right past the BSU campus. One can ride bikes or walk the greenbelt that runs along the river. Other popular things to do include visiting the Sawtooth Mountains in Stanley. White water rafting is fun in the summer and goes from mild to wild.

By the way the spuds are grown in the eastern part of the state and Boise is in the western part, no spuds grown here.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. We are looking at Hotels on the internet. There is one a half mile from BSU campus called the Shilo. Is it a good place? Because it is cheap.

Also, any chance there is some CPE that I can pick up while I am there (June 12 - 15)? I really need to figure out where to get my CPE this year and my schedule is causing a bunch of conflicts with my normal venues for CPE.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Also, Tom, if you are in to wine & cheese, Boise has some of the best vineyards in the world. And an absolutely awesome cheese factory. It's a great little town, clean & friendly, I love to visit Boise.

Maribeth

I live in Lodi Maribeth. It is one of the great wine producing areas in CA. Miles and miles of vineyards. The Mondavi winery is 2 miles from my home.

I am also dying to visit Jud's. I saw it on the travel channel. My wife says that burger will kill me. But any 2lb burger with a pound of bacon, 8 slices of cheese, and a pound of sauted mushrooms has to be something to try once in your lifetime.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I live in Lodi Maribeth. It is one of the great wine producing areas in CA. Miles and miles of vineyards. The Mondavi winery is 2 miles from my home.

I am also dying to visit Jud's. I saw it on the travel channel. My wife says that burger will kill me. But any 2lb burger with a pound of bacon, 8 slices of cheese, and a pound of sauted mushrooms has to be something to try once in your lifetime.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Well, that pretty much answers the question about how active he is.

Thanks Jeff. We are looking at Hotels on the internet. There is one a half mile from BSU campus called the Shilo. Is it a good place? Because it is cheap.

Also, any chance there is some CPE that I can pick up while I am there (June 12 - 15)? I really need to figure out where to get my CPE this year and my schedule is causing a bunch of conflicts with my normal venues for CPE.

Tom

Lodi, CA

The Shilo would be convenient to visit the campus, it is in the middle of town. Not the greatest hotel but not bad either. Certainly a good value.

Big Jud’s is close to the campus and a good place to eat, even a regular sized burger is big. Rockies Diner was also featured on the same Travel Chanel show and is another fun place to eat. They are long time clients of mine.

There is very little CPE here at that time of year, you should check with the Idaho CPA society to see what they are offering, (idcpa.org).

Jeff