ATX Community

1065 page 1

ILLMAS

Hello I have a TP that has varios rental properties that I report on form 8825, however in 2009 they had expenses not related to the properties (office supplies, telephone, meals etc...) not necessarly linked to a spescific property. So I just wanted to make sure it was okay to report those expenses on page 1 of the 1065, even though there was no revenue to offset those expenses.

Thanks

SINCE you aren't supposed to mix ordinary inc and exp and real estate on the same partner k-1 and not to have 2 k-1's per partner, we set up a an extra property called admin and put those items there on the 8825. if its only 2 proprties we might just put 1/2 of the expenses on each building.

if you do it the way you stated you get atx error warning although i am not sure if its a red warning or not [allowing efile]

>>just put 1/2 of the expenses on each building.<<

I prefer this way, though not necessarily equal portions, unless it's too much work. Setting up a dummy property to post expenses is usually a reasonable alternative, but rental expenses should not be shown as non-passive. Allocating the expenses gives a better picture of the true economics of each property, helps in calculating passive income/loss for carryovers, and can protect against improper expenditures.

The correct way is to allocate common expenses to each property by some reasonable method applied consistently each year. The passivity loss computation can be incorrect if you use a dummy property.

If the expenses are related to the rental activity then the expenses should not be on page 1.

The passivity loss computation can be incorrect if you use a dummy property.

If the expenses are related to the rental activity then the expenses should not be on page 1.

i agree with the above statement but usually these expenses are very minor in relation to the properties, llc fees, some telephone, auto etc. if its larger such as a master insurance policy, or a common super or even a bookkeeper then we allocate to the specific building

>>but usually these expenses are very minor <<

If it doesn't make any economic difference anyway, why ever would you draw IRS attention to the return by taking a non-conforming position on it? Just list all the expenses on a spreadsheet (I would use pencil and lined paper), with a column for total and each property. Don't lock yourself into an arbitrary percentage. Ask the client to make a reasonable allocation based on time, importance, difficulty, or some other reasonable measure. The whole thing shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

I agree with Jainen on this, if the expense is minor, why not just allocate? If you've got three properties, and $360 of admin expense, just put $120 on each property, and move on. If you have a mower used on all three, either set it up as three items, 1/3 on each property, or put it on the largest property, or on the property where it is stored when not in use, and don't worry about it.

I agree with both Jainen and KC. That is exactly how I do it and I have a fair amount of rental returns. The bottom line here is that it is a legitimate deduction and is being deducted somewhere. I really believe that is all that matters.

>>being deducted somewhere... is all that matters<<

I can't go quite that far. Do not for example, pile everything on one property to avoid a non-deductible passive loss. And do not use arbitrary percentages, like half and half. Insist that the client make a reasonable estimate. Besides the factors I gave, KC offers two more. Almost anything will work, as long as it is real.