ATX Community

Residential Energy Credit

neilbrink

I have a client who bought an energy efficient water heater in 2006. I can find only one small reference in the instructions to whether it qualifies for the credit. *Certain electric heat pump water heaters; electric heats pumps; geothermal heat pumps; central air conditioners; and natural gas, proprane, or oil water heaters.* The form itself (Line 5 B) makes no reference to it? Has anyone had a case like this and how did you treat it? Thanks. Neil

I have a client who bought an energy efficient water heater in 2006. I can find only one small reference in the instructions to whether it qualifies for the credit. *Certain electric heat pump water heaters; electric heats pumps; geothermal heat pumps; central air conditioners; and natural gas, proprane, or oil water heaters.* The form itself (Line 5 B) makes no reference to it? Has anyone had a case like this and how did you treat it? Thanks. Neil

It would be a hot water boiler....so 5695, Line 5b...limit of $150.00

I do not agree....If Homowner buys hot water heater it goes on 5695 Line 5b

ASK THE SELLER - a hot water heater for heating water is different than a heating system using a hot water boiler, hot water is circulated thru pipes or registers or infloor tubing... I have a brother in refrig/heating .

And with outdoor wood system - they are expensive but they do not qualify as they are less than 92% efficiency

ASK THE SELLER - a hot water heater for heating water is different than a heating system using a hot water boiler, hot water is circulated thru pipes or registers or infloor tubing... I have a brother in refrig/heating .

And with outdoor wood system - they are expensive but they do not qualify as they are less than 92% efficiency

.....I see your point....I was basing my opinion on this being a hot water-based heating system.....not just a stand-alone hot water heater.....I can see where this hot water heater might not qualify for the homeowner.

If person's home was heated with a high-efficience hot -water heating system, I feel that would go on 5695 Line 5b

Water heaters used to just heat water for residential hot water useage use go on line 5a. But, the instructions for line 5a include;

"A natural gas, propane, or oil water heater that has an energy factor of at least 0.80."

The key is the requirement for at least a .80 energy factor. This generally requires an "on demand tankless water heater" to get to a .80 or above energy factor. The energy factor of the water heater is on the energy star sticker on the water heater, or it is available on the manufacturers web site. All of the tank type high efficiency water heaters my clients have purchased have fallen short of the .80 energy factor. There may be a tank type water heater that has a .80 or higher energy factor out there, but it would be a rare bird.

A hot water heater used as part of a hot water heating system could conceiveably go on line 5b. The problem would be the requirement for an "annual fuel utilization efficiency rate of at least 95." Water heaters are not marked with "annual fuel utilization efficiency ratings", they are marked with an "energy factor". Even if you assumed these energy ratings were the same, good luck trying to find a hot water heater with at least a 95 rating.

Water heaters used to just heat water for residential hot water useage use go on line 5a. But, the instructions for line 5a include;

"A natural gas, propane, or oil water heater that has an energy factor of at least 0.80."

The key is the requirement for at least a .80 energy factor. This generally requires an "on demand tankless water heater" to get to a .80 or above energy factor. The energy factor of the water heater is on the energy star sticker on the water heater, or it is available on the manufacturers web site. All of the tank type high efficiency water heaters my clients have purchased have fallen short of the .80 energy factor. There may be a tank type water heater that has a .80 or higher energy factor out there, but it would be a rare bird.

A hot water heater used as part of a hot water heating system could conceiveably go on line 5b. The problem would be the requirement for an "annual fuel utilization efficiency rate of at least 95." Water heaters are not marked with "annual fuel utilization efficiency ratings", they are marked with an "energy factor". Even if you assumed these energy ratings were the same, good luck trying to find a hot water heater with at least a 95 rating.

Thanks mgmea and D Eckerman...I am smarter for having read your posts!