ATX Community

ATX Max and VISTA

Bill N Debbie

Hi all,

Would appreciate any and all input people have about Vista... I now have two Computers running XP on local network.

Thinking about getting new laptop with Vista Business. Searched the board about Vista, seems like most of the problems were earlier last year... searched ATX Knowledgebase, they say they don't support earlier years than 2004 or 05 with Vista.

Are there any issues running network with Vista and non-Vista computers?

I have ATX back to 98 that I like to access from time to time, will it or not run under Vista?

Thanks, Bill

Hi all,

Would appreciate any and all input people have about Vista... I now have two Computers running XP on local network.

Thinking about getting new laptop with Vista Business. Searched the board about Vista, seems like most of the problems were earlier last year... searched ATX Knowledgebase, they say they don't support earlier years than 2004 or 05 with Vista.

Are there any issues running network with Vista and non-Vista computers?

I have ATX back to 98 that I like to access from time to time, will it or not run under Vista?

Thanks, Bill

Vista will work with ATX2007 just fine.

ATX2006, 2005 and 2004 should work but you will have to go through multiple workarounds as everything has to be allowed and running as admin.

I know of a few customers running 2003 on it that have just had to workaround a few things.

If 2003 works, then 2002 should and possibly 2001.

However, ATX doesn't support those prior years with Vista so if it doesn't work, you will be on your own to make it work.

I highly doubt that 98, 99 or 2000 will work very well.

But if you are good with computers or have a good local tech, they may be able to make everything work.

It's always a possibility but you will really have to test it.

I am not sure if there have been any problems running these programs on a network with Vista and non-Vista computers?

I haven't heard of any and I know some customers are doing.

Although, I don't know of any doing it with programs before 2005.

I bought a computer with Vista Home Premium a couple of months ago. I installed Saber / 1040 from 1998 - 2006 on it and they are now running. I'm not on a network so I can't speak to that issue. I did have to reinstall several times to get them to work. I had the most trouble with 1998, but I only had the demo version for that. I'm not sure if that was the problem or if it was designed for Windows 95 (or 98) and not for XP.

I've been thinking about posting the procedure that worked for me, but I've procrastinated in writing it up.

I believe that Toshiba is still selling a line of laptops with XP Pro on them. My experiences with Vista have all been negative. Many many issues with older periphials. Printer drivers may not be available, or, as I found, the printer manufacturer simply said: "We will not be producing Vista drivers for this model." The printer was only 3 years old.

My advice... JMHO... Resist Vista till there is no alternative. Laptop manufacturers have jumped in bed with Microsoft on this. Some laptops come with Vista. If you decide to uninstall Vista, and install XP, the manufacturer if the hardware does not have drivers for the new systems that are XP compatible. This I know from first hand experience. I returned the laptop, and resurrected my daughters old one from college. It is a little slow, but has XP Pro on it, and there are not compatibility issues.

I was looking at getting new computers this year (i do have small network) but with not knowing enough about Vista and ATX future, I decided to make my present system work for a least one more year. My main decesion was due to a long conversation with a tech at ATX in November 2007, and although they are working on the Vista issue, she indicated to me that they will not guarentee any thing vista as of yet. I dont need any headaches during tax season.

Although I am not a DELL computer fan the have many low cost systems on there web site that offer XP.

1040PRO of AZ

CLIFF