ATX Community

Quick question for cowboys

Pacun

Which one is not exposed to depreciation recapture?

1. Milk cow

2. Greenhouse

3. Barn

4. Combine

In that sense, how are 2, 3, 4 used in a farm and what they mean?

I'm not a cowboy, but here goes"

2. glass or plastic paned hose with auziliary heat and ventilation control for starting seedlings.

3. storage (animal, machinery, plant materials, soil amendments

4. big machine that harvests current crop (and can post-process as well, such as sorting) and plows the land to be ready for more seeding at the same time.

Numbers 1,2, amd 4 are Sec. 1245 property and subject to recapture. Number 3 would be Sec. 1250 property.

(Note to Catherine: You don't plow with a combine. At least not on purpose.)

All I know is that they do a bunch of things at once.... also figured once there was one response, others would chime in, if only to correct me.

I'm in Massachusetts, where a BIG family farm might be 1,000 acres - half of it in Christmas trees. And no one acre flat enough for more than a small tractor.

happy.gif

Now, I remember what a combine is. We used it for haversting rice. It cuts, separates and cleans the rice very nicely. We called it a combiner (combinadora).

I thought a barn was like a building that you must recapture depreciation if needed. If I have seem that question before today, I would have thought that the correct answer was a combine.

Thank you for the answers.