ATX Community

Facebook Page

Terry D EA

I have had several people tell me I should create a Facebook page for my business. Has any of you done this and if so do you use it for advertisment? What are the benefits? Do the benefits out weigh the aggrevation of having to check and update another program? The only advertisement that has worked for me is word of mouth. All other forms barely and sometimes not at all, pay for themselves. Please give some comments

I have had several people tell me I should create a Facebook page for my business. Has any of you done this and if so do you use it for advertisment? What are the benefits? Do the benefits out weigh the aggrevation of having to check and update another program? The only advertisement that has worked for me is word of mouth. All other forms barely and sometimes not at all, pay for themselves. Please give some comments

I put one up in the fall and spent some time on it and updated it a couple times in quick succession. Almost no one knows about it or sees it.

I'll stick with bookkeepinghelp.com for my advertising -- almost everyone who finds me goes through them. It's less than $200 per year and they do all the search engine optimization etc.

Terry, I, like you, have never had any results from advertising other than word of mouth. Sometimes clients walk out of here with two or three business cards and I get an occasional hit from them. It is usually the mothers that tell their kids or their neighbor lady. Sometimes it is my husband and sons who tell their customers.

In reverse, I have business cards on my desk from a colleague. If someone comes in that I definitely know I am not going to be able to or want to work with; I give them her card and send them there. She is a lot younger than me; just in her second solo year and willing to put up with a lot more than I am at this point.

In my engagement letter that I sent out, I mentioned that I would be accepting a limited number of new clients this year, depending on the circumstances. That sentence will do more for me than any ad on Facebook or anywhere else ever could. (This is based on my experience, and is not to be considered unnegotiable).

Someone on another forum has one and uses it mostly with existing clients, inviting them as "friends" on the business facebook rather than on the one they use for friends and family. The business version can be used to post new tax developments and reminders, etc. I don't think it is a major source of new business, but you might pick up someone that way.