ATX Community

new computer transfer programs

grandmabee

Have a new computer and just now trying to set up. My tech person said I had to install all my prior years propgrams from disk and he would transfter data on to them. I thought I could have him just transfer all programs and data from one computer to the next. I had XP and now its windows 7.

So I am in the process of installing all old verison of quickbooks and atx programs. I know quickbooks old verision I won't be able to get the udates from online so not sure what I will do yet. ANyone have any experience with this and any tips

thanks.

Try installing an old version and then downloading updates before restoring any file, I believe the updates are still available except for payroll. If you try restoring them before updating the program you will get an error and won't be able to restore. Why not advise your clients to buy the latest version of QB, tell them you can no longer use old version because of changing technology, that is what I tell my clients because it doesn't make sense for me to have different versions of QB on my computer. I still have a client using version 2006 and have told them, I will not be able to help them out if their computer fails, they already had a problem 2 years ago and luckily I had a copy of the file on my computer, client was able to restore but had to re-enter a couple of months of information. I am a pro-advisor for QB and I found out that it's cheaper buying the program from Sams Club or Costco, even though I get discounts for my clients.