ATX Community

New CD wiped out my work

Randall

Just received the latest ATX CD, 12.30.2010. I installed and when I opened the program, no returns in the return manager. I haven't done too much so far, just a few W2/941 returns. Anyone else have this? I wonder if I did something different.

I was able to do a restore from the backup file. The returns are back in ATX. A little scary though.

I only use the first and the last CD. I use the first CD to install the program on my work work computer and then I do all updates on the internet. I use the last/archive CD if I need to install on another computer later on.

I thought that each CD has a full blown ATX program with updates and I have always been affraid to install over my working version of ATX.

I do online updates too. But I've always updated with the new CD when it arrives, then immediately do an online update too. In the past ATX has said the CD will not overwrite any online updates that came later than the CD update. I sent this into ATX to see what they say.

The funny thing was that the Rollover Manager listed my returns under the 'Rolled Over' category. They just weren't listed in the Return Manager. Also, the backup files were there under the ATX Program Backup file which was done automatically. When I used the Restore function, the file that automatically displayed showed nothing but when I browsed, I could go to the ATX Backup file on my HD and select it and it filled in the Restore window and I was able to restore the returns I had completed.

Whew! I will probably not update with the CD anymore because I will have a lot more work completed by that time and can't take a chance.