ATX Community

EIC Question

Pacun

MFJ return. Husband is 67 years old and wife is 63 years old. Husband collected $12K SS and wife's W-2 shows 6K of earned income. Do they qualify for EIC without a child?

Yes, if they cannot be a dependent of anyone else, has a ss number..ect ect. Are you questioning it because of the husbands age?

Yes, if they cannot be a dependent of anyone else, has a ss number..ect ect. Are you questioning it because of the husbands age?

Yes. I efiled this form and it was rejected. At first I got a very generic error message. The second time I got the same generic message. The third time I got an error message that it reads something like:

"When you claim EIC without the EIC form, both taxpayers must be under 65."

As you know, we have to fill out the EIC form in order for the credit to pop up. I don't understand what's going on.

Yes. I efiled this form and it was rejected. At first I got a very generic error message. The second time I got the same generic message. The third time I got an error message that it reads something like:

"When you claim EIC without the EIC form, both taxpayers must be under 65."

As you know, we have to fill out the EIC form in order for the credit to pop up. I don't understand what's going on.

That would be an IRS reject 0204. What's going on is the IRS computer thinks both taxpayer & spouse are age 65 or older. You can try calling the IRS e-help desk, but in my experience this is almost always a paper file situation.

Actually, I saw an email stating that the IRS is working on fixing this error. You might want to delete the efile forms in the efile manager, then go back into the return and recreate the efile, and see if it goes through this time. Remember, IRS always has a few 'bugs' at their end in the early days, but usually they get them fixed reasonably fast, and then the same return goes through just fine.

Actually, I saw an email stating that the IRS is working on fixing this error. You might want to delete the efile forms in the efile manager, then go back into the return and recreate the efile, and see if it goes through this time. Remember, IRS always has a few 'bugs' at their end in the early days, but usually they get them fixed reasonably fast, and then the same return goes through just fine.

The info I saw from IRS is they're aware of it happening with 64 year olds, which suggests the IRS records are off by 2 years not just 1. Also that it wasn't seen as a high priority fix because it doesn't affect a lot of people. If it takes more than a couple weeks to fix it would have been faster to get the refund mailing it in?

The info I saw from IRS is they're aware of it happening with 64 year olds, which suggests the IRS records are off by 2 years not just 1. Also that it wasn't seen as a high priority fix because it doesn't affect a lot of people. If it takes more than a couple weeks to fix it would have been faster to get the refund mailing it in?

NO. I just made up the ages. In reality the husband was 65 by the end of 2010 and the wife was 64.