ATX Community

CA e-file form

beckster

I have found that it will not generate the 8879s (State also) unless there is an entry in the Date field of the Pin section, otherwise it generates 8453s.

I have input date info and an IRS 8879 is generated, but the California efile shows up as an 8453. I will send out a search party in my state forms and see what I find out. I will update my findings.

Thx.

Beckster

I have input date info and an IRS 8879 is generated, but the California efile shows up as an 8453. I will send out a search party in my state forms and see what I find out. I will update my findings.

Thx.

Beckster

Search party successful! "Xpert" in State. Find "EF" form. Then "Carry Fed PIN Information to California" and click in the "Yes" box. Yay!

Since California has never required that 8453s be submitted, it really is not a problem if the program provides an 8453 instead of an 8879.

Either way, I can't get the efile forms to print unless I have filled out the federal PIN information. I would much prefer to print the forms first. I have several mail-in clients and I don't want to make the return transmissible before I have the signatures in hand. This way seems backwards.

Since California has never required that 8453s be submitted, it really is not a problem if the program provides an 8453 instead of an 8879.

Either way, I can't get the efile forms to print unless I have filled out the federal PIN information. I would much prefer to print the forms first. I have several mail-in clients and I don't want to make the return transmissible before I have the signatures in hand. This way seems backwards.

Hi Julie,

The following is from FTB Website (I highlighted in purple)

A Purpose of Form FTB 8879

Form FTB 8879, California e-file Signature Authorization for Individuals, must be completed when an individual e-file tax return is being signed using the Practitioner PIN method. By signing this form, the taxpayer authorizes the Electronic Return Originator (ERO) to enter the taxpayer’s personal identification number (PIN) on his or her 2010 e-filed California individual income tax return. This is a one-time authorization tied to this specific tax return.

Form FTB 8879 does not serve as proof of filing – the acknowledgement containing the date of acceptance for the accepted tax return is that proof.

Do not use form FTB 8879 if the taxpayer(s) will sign form FTB 8453, California e-file Return Authorization for Individuals, or will enter their own PIN and shared secret.

I have to use Form 8879 because I input my client's PIN for them. I find this way much easier for me, because my computer is not accessible to the clients for them to input their PIN themselves.

Happy Tax Season!

Beckster

Hi Beckster, and all others. Can I call this one closed or can I help you with anything else?

I have subscribed to this for future questions, and I am sorry to have left you hanging; as with each of you, I have been super busy with Tax Season, but i want to support you all, so let me know on this one and I will keep track of future issues as they come in.

Hope you are having a great tax season.

Ryan