ATX Community

Might be easy way to accept credit cards??

Cathy

I got set up last year to accept debit/credit cards, however very few clients used it. Costing me $12.95 month base fee plus a percentage, etc...

Just saw the article below and wondered if any of you have tried using this app???

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=13951113

Just saw this also: "Learn more at squareup.com"

It will only work if you have a merchant account that will allow access.

You do have to set up an "account" (name, email, etc...)but there is no monthly fee such as I'm paying now with my Intuit "Merchant Account" ($12.95 per month). From their website, here are the fees:

One of the most common questions about Square is “How much does it cost?”. The conversation often goes something like this:

“So, how much are your fees?”

2.75% + 15¢ per transaction if you use your Square card reader and…

3.5% + 15¢ per transaction if do not use your Square card reader and instead type in the numbers manually.

“What about a monthly fee?”

Nope!

“Annual?”

Nada.

“What about the interchange fee that gets added on to each transaction?”

One fee to rule them all.

“Haha, funny. Ok, what about PCI compliance fees? Security costs extra right?"

Why should it? Square is safe and secure from the get go.

“Ok...Amex? They get charged separately right? And I know that it’s sometimes too expensive to accept them and most small businesses only accept other cards.”

All cards we accept (Visa, Mastercard, Discover and Amex) have the same flat rates.

I'll try to keep a close eye on them and possibly consider switching...but in the interim, if anyone is using Square, please let us know how it's working for you.

Take care,

Cathy

Keep in mind that this an iPhone/Android based service. In a office environment, some clients may find it odd to see you swiping their credit card on a phone rather than on a traditional swiper. If you are a preparer that does house calls, then it's a no-brainer.

I have been using the Inuit service for the first time this tax season and I find it very slow. One day the site even failed to load so I had to bill the customer since I could not take his payment. :angry: Unacceptable.