ATX Community

deceased taxpayer

grandmabee

Not sure about non-court appointed, but if you look at the e-file tabs, there is a place to put the name of the representative filing the return for the decedent. I just did one for a couple where one spouse died and the surviving spouse was signing for him. Be sure to do it on both the Fed and the state as the information does not flow from one to the other (got a rejection because I did not fill it out on the state form - easy fix).

No overrides are neccessary.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Is it showing up on the 8879? The one I just did included the wording on the 8879 to show she was signing as surviving spouse.

Tom

Lodi, CA

no but this is not a surviving spouse. its a parent. only thing different is that it does show deceased and date on top of 1040. everything else is just like she was still alive and signing herself

I have one too....mom pssed away and son is the executor. Deceased mom will get small refund. Can these be filed electronically? Enter son's name as personal reepresentative on 1040 EFINFO?

If the refund is going to the estate of the deceased, do I need to file a form 1310? The estate has a checking account where the refund will be deposited into. It seems like the executor (the son) could just sign the 8879 and this return could be e-filed like normal....correct?

If the refund is going to the estate of the deceased, do I need to file a form 1310? The estate has a checking account where the refund will be deposited into. It seems like the executor (the son) could just sign the 8879 and this return could be e-filed like normal....correct?

it depends what year died if 2011 no but it 2010 then yes.

if you read in the instructions for deceased it says to put executor name on the front of the 1040. I have never done that and didn't know if that was new. I think I am just going to have them sign the 8879 and go for it. SHe's owes so no refund to worry about

it depends what year died if 2011 no but it 2010 then yes.

if you read in the instructions for deceased it says to put executor name on the front of the 1040. I have never done that and didn't know if that was new. I think I am just going to have them sign the 8879 and go for it. SHe's owes so no refund to worry about

I have added the 1310 and will have the son sign the 8879 and write "Executor" after his name. Will e-file and see if it goes through OK...I received no errors when I created