ATX Community

Disclaimer

ILLMAS

Just wondering what others tell their clients when issuing their returns? I usually them tell, your return was prepared based on the information you submitted bla bla, I do not verify theses amounts nor I'am performing an audit etc.... Then I finish by telling them, you will be solely reponsible for providing support for expenses in case of an IRS audit. This mostly applies to my Sch-C clients. I believe there is a similar disclaimer on then client letter.

I don't actually _tell_ my clients any of that because it is all in the engagement letter. The first time I work with a client, I carefully explain all the information in the engagement letter so that it is very clear (based on AICPA sample letter). If I have questions or doubts about any information while preparing a return, I ask for clarification or more details. I may also remind some people that I don't need to see support documentation but to be sure to retain it in their records in case of audit. Then again, I do not have walk-ins, about 99% of my clients are returning clients of many years and others are referrals who may need help for one or two years based on specific circumstances.

The couple of clients that were iffy never returned. For several years I had posted on my file cabinet in sight of clients a headline about a tax preparer being imprisoned for fraud. I never said anything about the details, but one woman told me she would never come back because she thought I was trying to intimidate her. My thought was, if the shoe fits...