ATX Community

1096 correction

Pacun

Client prepares 1099-misc on her own for her 50/50 partnership (llc). She prepared about 5 1099s and when she was ready to mail them, she found out that one of the contractors had moved and she didn't mail the 1099. She didn't include that amount on form 1096.

She asked me on an email what she should do with that 1099-misc. I told her to mail it to the address of record and to keep the envelop if returned by the postal office.

There was a posting about efiling missing 1099 and its was an concensus that you preprare a new 1096 with ONLY the new amount and efile. How about for paper filing? It is my understanding that you include all 1099s' amount and send a new 1096 to the IRS with the grand total and you write on top of 1096 "AMENDED". I will not efile this one.

There is a box the you check off "CORRECTED" and yes she would have to redo all of them and re-issue them, however it makes no difference for the recipients that the received the correct one in the first place.

You mean that she will have to check all 1099-Misc as corrected and that will make the new 1096 as corrected since form 1096 is just a cover sheet?

I don't believe she has to mark all corrected, just the new one or she can mark all of them corrected, however it won't make a difference to the recipients if the amounts, name, SS# and address did not change from the original issued. In this case since she probably did them by hand, them she would have to redo all.