ATX Community

Filing New York State Individual Tax Return

Yardley CPA

I thought I read that tax preparers must file with the State of New York before we can efile New York returns? I am a Pennsylvania preparer who has just a couple of individuals who require a New York return. Must I register prior to efiling the returns? If so, is there a cost associated with the registration? Will I receive a certain tax preparer ID number that I will be required to use in order to efile?

Thanks!

I thought I read that tax preparers must file with the State of New York before we can efile New York returns? I am a Pennsylvania preparer who has just a couple of individuals who require a New York return. Must I register prior to efiling the returns? If so, is there a cost associated with the registration? Will I receive a certain tax preparer ID number that I will be required to use in order to efile?

Thanks!

You need to register prior to efiling. YOu don't have to pay anything if you file less than 10 returns. CPAs, attorneys and EAs don't have to register.

You need to register prior to efiling. YOu don't have to pay anything if you file less than 10 returns. CPAs, attorneys and EAs don't have to register.

Confusion alert! The registration is a requirement to prepare NY returns, even if they are paper filed. And, as Pacun notes, it doesn't apply to CPAs, EAs, or attorneys.

NY used to have a requirement to register to e-file, but they eliminated that several years ago. Your federal EFIN is good in NY.

Confusion alert! The registration is a requirement to prepare NY returns, even if they are paper filed. And, as Pacun notes, it doesn't apply to CPAs, EAs, or attorneys.

NY used to have a requirement to register to e-file, but they eliminated that several years ago. Your federal EFIN is good in NY.

Correct. Confusion alert... I used "file" and Don used "prepare". File and prepare are the same thing. This morning I feel like Jainen.