ATX Community

can I stop a direct deposit after e-filing

pajoan

TP emailed today to stop the direct deposit that he signed yesterday. Now he wants a paper check mailed so that his wife doesnt take all the refund. If I don't stop the DD he is going to call the IRS himself.

this has not been my best week. I don't think I can stop this canI?

TP emailed today to stop the direct deposit that he signed yesterday. Now he wants a paper check mailed so that his wife doesnt take all the refund. If I don't stop the DD he is going to call the IRS himself.

this has not been my best week. I don't think I can stop this canI?

Let him call the IRS. If the efile was accepted, there is nothing you can do.

Have client close his bank account immediately and get a new wife. IRS won't stop the process even if he calls, the only way to get a paper check is if they cannot deposit it. Two years ago a client failed to notify me he closed his account, I called the IRS on his behalf and was told no, the system tries two or three times to deposit the funds, after that a paper check is issued, well it took 3 or 4 months to get it.

>>I don't think I can stop this <<

Tell him to ask the bank to reject it. That probably won't work, but it will get him out of your office! What are YOU supposed to do about it in fairness? With a joint return SHE is your client too, so don't take sides.

What good is a paper check anyway? She has to sign it. Best bet is to hang out in the bank lobby with a laptop, and withdraw the money as soon as it hits. You can tell him exactly when that will be, because the IRS publishes a refund schedule that you can share. But don't take sides.

Interestingly SHE makes most of the money. I have been doing her family taxes for several years. I hardly know him. I am not taking sides, I am not a marriage counselor either. I emailed them both, too late to mke changes now. They both said okay. Is the moon full? I also have had very weird questions this week. One more month.....