ATX Community

New York Tax Professionals

LisaAnn

Hi New York Tax Professionals!

I am a PA preparer, can I paper-file one New York return for my niece without being penalized $100? (FYI, niece's tax prep fee is 'family gratis' work)

I thought I read something that I would have to register with the state of NY in order to prepare a NY return or else I would be penalized $100.

If you're an EA, you no longer have to register. Although, it was suggested to me in a course that I start the online registration process, and when the page comes up telling me I do not have to register, to print that page for my files. I did that. (I was registered for the prior tax season before we EAs were added to the regulations NY uses for CPAs and attorneys.)

If you're an EA, you no longer have to register. Although, it was suggested to me in a course that I start the online registration process, and when the page comes up telling me I do not have to register, to print that page for my files. I did that. (I was registered for the prior tax season before we EAs were added to the regulations NY uses for CPAs and attorneys.)

No, I'm not an EA, so I guess registration is required to file one return.

I also am a PA preparer I have two clients who work in NY. I registered with the state of NY got a registration number, and so long as I don't file more than ten NY returns, there is no fee.

Is the online registration immediate or do I have to wait for something to come in the mail once I register?

You get your number at the end and can print out a certificate. I even enlarged a copy and put it in a document frame on my wall, so my NY commuters think I'm familiar with NY taxes -- even though the certificate means nothing more than that I paid NY $100 a season ago!

Hi New York Tax Professionals!

I am a PA preparer, can I paper-file one New York return for my niece without being penalized $100? (FYI, niece's tax prep fee is 'family gratis' work)

I thought I read something that I would have to register with the state of NY in order to prepare a NY return or else I would be penalized $100.

I don't understand your problem. If you are preparing it gratis why would you put in info that you are a paid preparer?

taxbilly

The box on page four of the NY return says: "paid preparer" . You are not a paid preparer. Why muddy the waters?

taxbilly

I put my name on everthing I prepare, whether paid or not.......but like you said, no need to 'muddy the waters' for the NY return.

Thanks for everyone's responses! I don't have time to get on here much, but when I do everyone is so very helpful! What a great group!