ATX Community

OHIO Help Please - what did my wife get me into?

BulldogTom

New client walked in off the street today. Moved to CA from OH. They lived in Richwood, H worked in Milford Center, W worked in Marysville. Local withholding from Milford Center and Marysville.

How many darn tax returns does OH require for this couple? In reading the instructions, it seems like they don't have to file returns for Milfor Center or Marysville because there was withholding.

Do they have to file a school district tax return? Which one?

Any help appreciated.

I am thinking about a new policy for my company that we will only take Ohio transplants after they have been in CA for more than one year.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I'm sure JB will guide you in the right direction but meanwhile I found that Richwood files as part of the RITA or Regional Income Tax Agency http://www.ritaohio.com/municipal/richwood.htm

Here is a quick way to find out about school district information:

https://thefinder.tax.ohio.gov/StreamlineSalesTaxWeb/AddressLookup/LookupByAddress.aspx?taxType=SchoolDist

With all this, I am puzzled because the Ohio return instructions do not list this school district in Union County. JB will set us both straight! I am in Cincinnati, not so close to Richwood.

3779 Prospect-Richwood Road

Richwood, OH 43344.

My wife says please say they are exempt!!!!!

Do they need to file city returns?

JB - you are the best for helping us out here. Any tips on completing these returns?

Thanks

Tom

Lodi, CA

This zip code actually qualifies for 4 different school districts (3 with a tax, 1 without).....I'm afraid I will need the postal "+4" number to be sure we have the correct one. The client should have that on something they received in the mail. Did they file Ohio returns last year? If so, their 2009 Ohio return should tell you what school district they filed under last year.

almost all of the information will flow from the OH state return to the school district return if it is needed (with one exception and I can help you with that once we find the correct school district #).

For city taxes, they would file OH RITA 37 (ATX has this form). at the top of page 2, make sure you choose Richwood from the drop down menu. You then fill out SEC A with info from their W-2s.

Don't worry...I can walk you through this!

This zip code actually qualifies for 4 different school districts (3 with a tax, 1 without).....I'm afraid I will need the postal "+4" number to be sure we have the correct one. The client should have that on something they received in the mail. Did they file Ohio returns last year? If so, their 2009 Ohio return should tell you what school district they filed under last year.

almost all of the information will flow from the OH state return to the school district return if it is needed (with one exception and I can help you with that once we find the correct school district #).

For city taxes, they would file OH RITA 37 (ATX has this form). at the top of page 2, make sure you choose Richwood from the drop down menu. You then fill out SEC A with info from their W-2s.

Don't worry...I can walk you through this!

Last year code was 5101. That is the same number I got when I used the tool margaret posted. So I think that is correct.

So we don't have to file a tax return for Marysville or Milford Center?

When I enter the information on sch A of RITA 37, what do I do with retirement and SS? How about wages earned in CA?

Thanks

Tom

Lodi,CA

5101 (Elgin LSD) is one of the districts I found as well so that is probably correct...they do have a tax, so you'll need to complete that form. If you enter the school district number on page one of the Ohio return, ATX should automatically open the school district return. However.....Ohio has two types of taxing school districts.....1) A district can have a "normal" school tax, where all income is taxed, or 2) it can be "Earned income only" where SS and retirment are NOT taxed. In your case it is number 2....earned income only.....as such, the income numbers will not flow over from the state return, you will have to go to the tab that states "Lns 20-23 Qual Earn Inc" and enter the amount from 1040 line 7. The tax withheld (if any) should flow to the school return. Just be sure when you are entering W-2 information to include school district information at bottom

Correct....no returns would be filed for Marysville or Milford Center....Just RITA 37. Retirement and SS are not taxed by cities in Ohio...It would just be their W-2 income and any income from rentals, self-employment, etc. Only include income that was earned while they lived in Richwood. If this includes CA income then yes...include it, but not if it was earned after they moved to CA.

Another tip regarding Ohio.....the wage base for state and school district taxes is W-2 box 1, but the wage base for city taxes is W-2, box 5

With the RITA form, you don't have a separate local return. Most munis don't tax anything other than wages or business type income. If they were no longer residents of OH when moved to CA, don't include the wages. Read through the form instructions on the form itself and follow the bouncing ball. It really isn't all that bad - better than a root canal without drugs, although not much. I feel totally lost when faced with a CA return, myself. Thank goodness those clients are no longer with me.

JB will likely provide better guidance once he gets his points in a row.

Bulldog,

There is another make work project for you. If both taxpayers are working and have similar income generally it is better to file MFS for OH due to the large marriage penalty in OH. In order to do this it is best to start off MFJ to determine best way. So you may end up doing 3 fed returns to get one.

Also these local city tax dept's are run by authoritarions (former KBG & SS agents) that want to start criminal procedings if you are late. Make your wife do the returns and hire a good divorce lawyer.

Aw, cred65, now you'll want to make everyone fight to prepare Ohio returns just because they are so darn interesting and fun!

Weren't you glad for the help with the OH calculation this year in ATX? I had been using a little spreadsheet to do that for Ohio and could never figure out an easy way to incorporate into the program but at least I got the results easier than writing it out.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the MFS MFJ comparison this year....In years past, I had to actually complete all three returns to see which way was better. At first, I did not trust the new "feature" so I continued doing all three returns and comparing my results with the ATX results.....Eventually I became convinced it was correct and since then, It has been a huge time-saver.

The one thing I did notice was that the MFS MFJ comparison does not allocate the state/local taxes paid between the taxpayer/spouse.....you have to key it in manually.

JB, I don't understand why you had to do all three returns completely to figure out OH. I just input everything as F, S, or J then used the original MFJ vs MFS worksheet to get the respective AGI for each. I then input that into my little spreadsheet that just had the columns and the main items of the OH return. The only thing I had to figure was the tax, easy enough on the tables.

In any event, it is a really great improvement and worth A LOT in my opinion. As for keying in a couple of things, no big deal to me after the way it was. In the federal split, you still have to do some of that already but still so much better. Now if only we could just get rid of all these pesky muni returns...

Tom, the School District tax form is attached to the Ohio state return. It's actually sort of a state return, too. So they are efiled together. Have you looked through the OH efile tab to see the options? Don't forget to have the client "under penalties of perjury, declare .... " at the top. Also check the third tab for the disclosure statement for a direct deposit of refund and, of course, the Use tax. :)

Here is the RITA link http://www.rita.to/ I have prepared only business RITA returns which required forms attached so have not efiled. I looked under the Tax Professional tab on the left, the Efile and discovered that it looks to be possible only with Creative Solutions, Drake and CCHGroup, but I don't know if that means ATX as part of CCH.

JB, chime in here any time...

Does that mean you can't e-file the RITA Return? What about the SD100? Can it be e-filed?

Sorry to keep bothering you.

I think you must be getting rich off all these forms you have to prepare.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I do not charge extra for state, school and city returns...all included in my flat rate as most of them are pretty much flow from the Ohio return so are pretty much completed automatically. To my knowledge, you cannot e-file the RITA-37 (at least not with ATX). you may be able to go to their web site and file on-line. If so, I am not sure what the payment options would be.

Yes, The SD-100 return is e-filed along with the Ohio state return. You will only receive one ACK from Ohio though. If the state return is accepted, so is the school