ATX Community

IRA Mandatory Distribution

ljwalters

Client came in as asked me about the mandatory distribution he needs to take in 2011. He wants to know how much he needs to take. Is there a website that will calculate it for you? His IRA consultant told him to as his Tax prepare. I know it needs to start in year you turn 70.5 and I know it is based on total of all IRA and 401K monies. That is the extent of my knowledge.

What do I tell him?

Linda and buddy

Client came in as asked me about the mandatory distribution he needs to take in 2011. He wants to know how much he needs to take. Is there a website that will calculate it for you? His IRA consultant told him to as his Tax prepare. I know it needs to start in year you turn 70.5 and I know it is based on total of all IRA and 401K monies. That is the extent of my knowledge.

What do I tell him?

Linda and buddy

first the IRA manager is required to tell them every year what the RMD is. But there is a pub that gives you the % you must take out based on age and balance of accounts 12/31 of previous year. If he does wait until next year before April 1 then he must take two out that year. Just put RMD in the search on IRS website

first the IRA manager is required to tell them every year what the RMD is. But there is a pub that gives you the % you must take out based on age and balance of accounts 12/31 of previous year. If he does wait until next year before April 1 then he must take two out that year. Just put RMD in the search on IRS website

Thanks bcolleen

Distribution is based on the 12/31 value of all retirement accounts. You can aggregate among like accounts (IRA, 403(B), etc.), but must calculate and withdrawal from each type of account separately.

Take the 12/31 value and divide it by the 'divisor', which is the IRS life expectancy. IRS has life expectancy websites on the website. This is the amount that must be withdrawn.

Be careful if beneficiary is 10 years or more younger than the Retirement Account owners. The life expectancy is different. IRS has tables for this, also.