ATX Community

E-File

joe

Does any one know what the following rejection means? "the filers SSN has already been used as a filer's SSN on another return"

Could it be possible that he is filing single and he should be MFS? Did he go to another preparer before coming to you and the previous preparer filed by mistake? Could he be a victim of identity theft?

I just had the same thing happen to me - I electronically filed an extension last week so that we would have the option of reversing a Roth-IRA conversion all the way up to the 10/15 deadline, so I thought that might be the reason - but maybe not? I know the client did not file a return on his own or somewhere else, so could be sign of bigger problems?

Turns out that my issue was that a fradulent return was filed using my clients social security numbers - both husband and wife. Someone in Florida filed a return with about $11k in wages and $2,500 in withholding to file for the full refund. Had just been done on 3/31/11 so my client had no idea and now is looking into his credit reports to see if anything else went south....

If these are your long time clients, I would be reviewing my Internet habits and be paranoid. It is extremely and almost impossible for thieves to find out:

Correct social security for husband and wife that match their names. Correct filing status and filing habits (filing late in the season).

Could someone have hacked your system?