ATX Community

Therapeutic massage medical deduction?

Margaret CPA in OH

I don't see it listed but 80+ year old client with severe arthritis but still working! 3 days weekly at a clinic for the homeless mentally ill has $3000+ expense and $3000+ for acupuncture and $900 for physical therapy I see acupuncture listed as deductible but not massage. Maybe only if prescribed by physician? Thoughts on this appreciated because I think I'm going to get an argument...

The massages are for a specific medical condition, severe scoliosis, for this woman. She did have a physician's prescription. I asked when she came over so feel good about that. I wanted to be prepared for a, um, discussion, but the prescription took care of that. And the practioner is a licensed therapeutic massage professional. I need one now!

I am SO with you there, Margaret. I could use a four-hour massage to get out all the accumulated knots of the past four months! That's not going to happen, though, so after next week (when I've gone and dug over my veggie garden and planted out the peas), I'll try to get a one-hour scheduled. Four times in a week! (I wish.)

Just had a corporate-only (C-corp) tax client send me an email asking when his personal returns are due.... :wall:

Catherine