ATX Community

1099 misc, penalty?

mimi

my client hired help around the house while she was recovering from surgery and paid the helper >$600 so should have done a 1099-misc. client is under a lot of stress and said she didn't really want to deal with it right now. she was certain the helper was reporting the income on her tax return. what is the penalty for not submitting a 1099? and how likely is the irs to figure out she didn't do one? can we submit one after the 1099 deadline (i realize it has already passed), or will that draw unnecessary attention to the situation? thank you for your help!!!

my client hired help around the house while she was recovering from surgery and paid the helper >$600 so should have done a 1099-misc. client is under a lot of stress and said she didn't really want to deal with it right now. she was certain the helper was reporting the income on her tax return. what is the penalty for not submitting a 1099? and how likely is the irs to figure out she didn't do one? can we submit one after the 1099 deadline (i realize it has already passed), or will that draw unnecessary attention to the situation? thank you for your help!!!

Here's an article that may help shed some light on your question. Looks like penalties can get pretty pricey depending on the situation. Good luck.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5480896_penalties-filing-1099-misc-form.html