ATX Community

XP to Windows 7

ILLMAS

This question is for those that have bought a new computer with Windows 7, what is the best way to move ATX files to the new computer? Hear is what I was thinking of doing:

Old computer

1. Make sure every year has the most recent updates.

2. Export all clients to an external hard drive, year by year

New computer

1. Install ATX

2. Update every year first

3. Import all clients year by year

4. Input preparers information, I believe that doesn't transfer over

5. Test the system

Does someone else have suggestion they would like to share.

Thanks

Marco

This question is for those that have bought a new computer with Windows 7, what is the best way to move ATX files to the new computer? Hear is what I was thinking of doing:

Old computer

1. Make sure every year has the most recent updates.

2. Export all clients to an external hard drive, year by year

New computer

1. Install ATX

2. Update every year first

3. Import all clients year by year

4. Input preparers information, I believe that doesn't transfer over

5. Test the system

Does someone else have suggestion they would like to share.

Thanks

Marco

Marco,

Put your explorer's hat on and add Polo to your name and let's explore.

I would suggest:

1.- Buy the new computer with windows 7 Professional and 64 bit and a lot of memory. 4G should be the bare minimum but 8G should be enough if you have less than 1K clients.

2.- Copy the database folder from each ATX year you will install on the new computer (it might be a good idea to back up and over write the backup folder too for each year). I would install ONLY 2008, 2009, 2010 on the new computer (After all, you will keep the old computer handy should you need very old ATX years.

3.- Install ATX 2008, over write the database folder and test. Every thing should be there including company and preparers’ info. Testing should include: opening a client, printing forms and making a copy of the client. Then, closing the client, opening the copy and change form 1040 to 1040A and print. Create a new client, print and prepare an efile for this client. If everything works…

4.- Install ATX 2009, over write the database folder, roll over the “copy” client, open it, and do all the test you did for 2008. If everything works….

5.- Install ATX 2010, over write the database folder and roll over a client (even if rolled over during regular tax season). Do all the tests above and if everything works, share your experience with us.

For PACUN: I plan on purchasing a new computer also - am going from XP to Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM (64-BIT). Will this also work or do I need the Professional rather than the Home Premium. It does have 8GB and its an ALL IN ONE type computer. Thanks for any info.

For PACUN: I plan on purchasing a new computer also - am going from XP to Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM (64-BIT). Will this also work or do I need the Professional rather than the Home Premium. It does have 8GB and its an ALL IN ONE type computer. Thanks for any info.

That should work too. The key here is to make sure the first year (oldest) works and then move on to the next.