ATX Community

Time To Retire

TAXBILLY

No Kidding!!

A tax return's not that complicated. I'll do it myself," he recalled thinking. It turned out to be difficult. "Every member of Congress should be required to do their own personal income tax return," he added. "I guarantee that we would have tax simplification overnight."

>>Every member of Congress should be required to do their own personal income tax return... we would have tax simplification overnight<<

I doubt that very much. We would have exactly what we'are going to get anyway--a new program in the federal bureaucracy to give a huge subsidy to favorite corporations (as determined by campaign contributions) for providing a very plain service to a select segment of voters. There will be more money spent on determining which voters qualify than is spent on the tax prep itself, although even the tax prep will cost at least three times what Enrolled Agents have been charging. The only simplification involved is that taxpayers will lose exemptions and deductions, which will pay for bigger tax breaks and subsidies for the favorite corporations.

If they did simplify the tax code, it would last about one year, there would be such an out cry from the 49% or so that do not pay any income tax, that congress would start to fiddle with the tax code again call social engerning, that we would be back to what we know have in one election cycle

And if they had a simple tax code how are the politicians going to payoff there contributors legally

I am sticking around for at least one more year. Not only do my clients need me or some other professional; but I need them. I thought long and hard before renewing software, but now that I made the decision, I feel great relief. Whether you are in it for the money or in it for the good of the client; you play a very important part in their life. I hope you are all in primarily for the latter with the money being secondary.