ATX Community

Military W-2 Box 12

Terry O

Welcome back everyone!

I have a military W-2 with the code D11 in box 12.

My question is, normally, box 12 is a deduction from wages for tax deferred/exempt income, however this amount is added to SS wages and included in Box 1.

I have never seen this before, and am wondering if anyone has ever seen this.

Thanks!

Welcome back everyone!

I have a military W-2 with the code D11 in box 12.

My question is, normally, box 12 is a deduction from wages for tax deferred/exempt income, however this amount is added to SS wages and included in Box 1.

I have never seen this before, and am wondering if anyone has ever seen this.

First time for me as well, however I believe it pertains to the year (USERRA YEAR)

Deb!

Thanks!

On the back of the W2 it says: If a year follows Code D - H, S,Y, AA, BB, or EE, you made a makeup pension contribution for a prior year(s) when you were in military service. To figure whether you made excess deferrals consider these amounts forthe year shown, not the current year. If no year is shown, then the contributions are for the current year.

Lynn Jacobs, EA, NP

Enrolled Agent

Civil Law Notary Public

Code D11: D=Elective deferrals to a section 401(k) cash or deferred arrangement. Also includes deferrals under a SIMPLE retirement account that is part of a section 401(k) arrangement. Note: when a year follows code D, you either made a make-up pension contribution for a prior year(s) when you were in the military service or you made a make-up contribution for TSP. To figure whether you made excess deferrals, consider these amounts for the year shown, not the current year. If no year is shown, the contributions are for the current year. I got this from the back of a military W-2 for 2010 so I suspect it applies also for 2011.