ATX Community

A Strange Thing Happened with an Ebay purchase

mcb39

A couple of years ago I purchased a new laptop. I then purchased a Targus laptop carrying case on Ebay. It was impossible to tell it from new. I had been happily using the case for over a year when I couldn't find something I needed and decided to explore all the pockets in the case. In an obscure side pocket, I found a Lexar 8G jump drive. Now this is really strange as I don't own one of those even though I DO have several, each of which has its own files and uses.

I put the drive into my USB drive and opened it in explorer. Would you believe that this drive contained someone's Income Tax Return from, I believe, 2009. Now, here was the perfect scenario for identity theft. After thinking about it for a few days, I formatted the drive and erased everything on it and am now using it for music and payroll backups. Had this landed in the hands of someone other than a Tax Practitioner, hard telling what could have happened. Just goes to show that even though these are the most wonderful of devices, there is a danger in losing, mislaying or lending it to anyone else. I have since purchased a small zippered case just for the purpose of keeping all of my jump drives in one place at all times. I never worried about it before. I always "thought" I knew where they were at all times. Apparently, this fellow didn't remember sticking it in that small side pocket before selling it on Ebay. Just a lesson here for all of us.

Too True! I lost one of my jump drives this fall when I gave a presentation for the local Edward Jones clients, but fortunately I had nothing on that drive but power point presentations about taxes. I do have a couple that I used for client data, however, and I have been even more careful of those since losing the unimportant one.

you can purchase encripted flash drives that need a password to open. and after 3 attemps it automatically erases the data. We have a lot of clients in the same industry and even in the same buildings in NYC so a staff might visit 3-4 a day collecting quickbooks data etc. it would be a disaster to leave one clietnts data at anothers location. We use Ironkey that was developed for the military and came out about 5 years ago 2 gig wqas about $100. i know they have cheaper ones out now.