ATX Community

TheTaxBook

Slippery Pencil

Just received a package from Wolters Kluwer containing ATX install codes, 2018 US Master Tax Guide, 2017 State Tax Handbook, & 2016 TheTaxBook.

The ATX website states TheTaxBook Deluxe & CCH All States Tax Handbook are included in the MAX program.  I've never received these in the past.  Did they neglect to send them to me in past years or are they including completely unnecessary and unwanted items this year to justify the $200 price increase? 

Is including the previous years version some sort of bait & switch or will they send the current version?

Did WK buy out TheTaxBook?  I've never used it, but I've heard good things about the company.  I feel sorry for the users if WK bought it out.

Slick, no one has bought The Tax Book.  They are small, family-owned organization, with an assortment of excellent writers with dozens of years of collective service.  I am proud to know the owners and writers out of the Minneapolis area.  Their writers are practicing tax preparers whereas the giant publication companies are afraid they would be sued if they allowed their writers to actually do any tax work.

I buy their hard copy 1040 book and Business book every year plus their CD which gets updated online.  Each book is at least 700 pages and contains concise and accurate conversation about thousands of topics.

"Bigger is not necessarily better."  As I have become older I think bigger is rarely better.  I say that because of my prior history of dealing with and working for Fortune 500 companies and their out-of-touch and clumsy management structures. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Slippery Pencil said:

Just received a package from Wolters Kluwer containing ATX install codes, 2018 US Master Tax Guide, 2017 State Tax Handbook, & 2016 TheTaxBook.

The ATX website states TheTaxBook Deluxe & CCH All States Tax Handbook are included in the MAX program.  I've never received these in the past.  Did they neglect to send them to me in past years or are they including completely unnecessary and unwanted items this year to justify the $200 price increase? 

Is including the previous years version some sort of bait & switch or will they send the current version?

I received the 2016 TheTaxBook (and the other two books you mentioned) when I renewed a few weeks ago and then the 2017 TheTaxBook on Saturday, I think, also as part of ATX MAX purchase.  I believe this is the first time I've gotten TheTaxBook thru ATX.