ATX Community

E-Filing of Form 1065.....Error message

Cathy

In trying to create an e-file of a 1065 return, I get an error stating I must use my social security number. My PTIN number is of course stated on the return. I have no EIN number as I am a one person office. My first 1065 return to e-file. For many years I've been e-filing 1040's. Is there something I don't know or is there a glitch in the program when trying to create a PTR return?

Thanks!

Cathy

I am also a one person office but have had an EIN from the beginning even before my PTIN. It's so easy to do you may want to just go online today and get one. I don't know if you will then have to amend your PTIN file or other things, though. Anyway, think about it. I don't want to use my SSN and am frankly surprised that your PTIN isn't enough.

This exact same thing happened to me the first time I tried to e-file a 1065. I have no idea why, but I had to go online and get a EIN; which as Margaret says, was very easy to do. I am also alone and never needed an EIN. For whatever crazy reason, and I got that same message, unless you populate that box on the E-file info box with an EIN, you cannot e-file a 1065. You do not have to amend anything. Both numbers will appear on the bottom of Page 1 of the 1065 in the Paid Preparer Section.

MUCHO THANKS, EVERYONE!

I guess it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get an EIN after all these years of avoiding it. My late husband had one so our other businesses at the time were covered with his number when we needed one.

Jack, again thanks for that tip! Seems like I had remembered something special needed to be done to e-file PTRs and CORPs.....stopped preparing corporation returns and slid by until this year by mailing in the partnership returns.

Again, many thanks!

Cathy

P.S. Something funny...well, not really. I kept using my social after the PTIN came along for several years before it dawned on me.....where the heck were my clients' returns.....you know the ones that say they need a copy during the year because they lost theirs....if they truly "lost" their returns, then that meant they also "lost my social security number"! I guess I was just too busy to think at the time.

Jack is correct. You may never use it for anything else. I can rattle my husband's off in my sleep. He was my first Partnership., more years ago than you care to know about. I can never remember mine as the only time I need it is when I fill in the Preparer info for ATX e-file.