ATX Community

death and efile

grandmabee

Am I remembering right that if death is in 2012 then they have to paper file for 2011? and can efile in 2012

Well, I just read in the paper that one of my clients who has already filed for 2011, died 2/24/12, so I think not. Also, I am fairly certain I had a widow whose spouse died early in 2011, and I was able to e-file their 2010 return.

I'm pretty sure you can e-file both years.

And, I love the thread title "death and e-file". They come to everyone sooner or later, huh?

I just efiled a clients mother without any problems, paid the taxes all is well, had to paper the state of AZ, because they wanted a copy of the DC for the $25 refund

As to charging for clients children, do not comit to the free ones until I see what they have, and then I just love the ones that the child files for free on line, takes there owen PE and then I get to charge for fixing two return, or fix one, paper file parents. When that happens the next year I have all of the returns, makes life easier for all.

• Like 2

As to charging for clients children, do not comit to the free ones until I see what they have, and then I just love the ones that the child files for free on line, takes there owen PE and then I get to charge for fixing two return, or fix one, paper file parents. When that happens the next year I have all of the returns, makes life easier for all.

When I have that issue, I charge the same to amend the child as I do to amned most others. You end up doing the return as original in order to amend, so I have no problem at all charging for it. "You get what you pay for with free tax preparation!"

• Like 1

I think you can efile with a surviving spouse. Even without a surviving spouse if there is no refund. But if no surviving spouse and a refund due, you have to use Form 1310 and paper file.

Does the person signing the Form 1310 need to also sign Form 1040, with an edit on "Your Signature" to something like, "Lucy Goosie, Personal Representative"?