ATX Community

Form 982 (Refresher)

ILLMAS

Can someone guide me on this form, doing one for the first time this year, but in this case there was no bankruptcy. I already recorded the sale on Form 4797 and there is gain.

Cost 165K

A/C Depr. -55K

Basis 110K

From 1099-C 145K

Less Basis -110K

Gain 35K

On Form 982 I have checked off 1d, box 2 145K and box 3 Yes. Is this the ony things that get filled out?

Thanks

MAS

Did the client receive a 1099_A or a 1099-C? If only a 1099-A, form 982 does not apply.

1099-A shows change of ownership i.e. sale.

1099- C shows cancellation of debt and is the only place a form 982 applies.

Client may recieve neither, one or both. There may be many months between the client receiving the two forms.

Anyone?? TP has not lived in the house for last 5 years, but continued to own it up to the day of the short sale. Currently there is a gain, however I just want to make sure I have filled out form 982 correctly. "On Form 982 I have checked off 1d, box 2 145K and box 3 Yes. Is this the ony things that get filled out?"

Ownership and Use Tests

<a class="indexterm" name="d0e2111">[url=""%5D%5B/url%5D

To claim the exclusion, you must meet the ownership and use tests. This means that during the 5-year period ending on the date of the sale, you must have:

<p class="itemizedlist">

• Owned the home for at least 2 years (the ownership test), and YES

• Lived in the home as your main home for at least 2 years (the use test). OUT OF THE LAST 5 YEARS OF OWNERSHIP, NO TP HAD A SECOND HOME