ATX Community

Amending a return with tax due when original return requested refund

Linda Mathey

I Efiled tax returns last week for a client and her two college age children. On her return we claimed both children. She had a large enough refund we had a portion credited to her 2012 estimates and requested a refund of the balance. She got back in town and called and during the discussion I learned her daughter turned 24 during 2011.

I need to amend the return and it shows a balance due on the 1040X of $4 less than what we asked to be credited to her estimates. Is there any way to get the amount we asked to be credited applied to her taxes? I am assuming the answer is "no" and she will have to pay the balance on the amended return and then wait for the refund check but thought that it could not hurt to ask.

>>balance due on the 1040X of $4 less than what we asked to be credited<<

Probably the refund/credit is already in place, and the full amended balance due should be sent in now. Alternately, she can still make her first quarter estimate in the same amount. If she waits until after April 17, she might be more certain because the amended will not be treated as an original return (at the small cost of late payment penalty).

Thanks I have prepared the 1040X and IT1040X and will just have her make the payments before April 17. I knew that there was probably no option and the amount she is paying is almost what her estimate would be if they were able to pull the credit back to the 1040.

Hate it when this comes out after returns are filed...I guess I need to ask more questions up front.

I have never filed a 2nd 1040 - always just amended.

When filing a 2nd 1040 by paper does anything special need to be written on it?

I just changed an address on a return (client is moving to a different state). Form actually sent doesn't match the 8879 that they signed. Of course I didn't catch the error until after the return was accepted. Having them send the correct balance due with the corrected return seems better.

Thanks!

I have never filed a 2nd 1040 - always just amended.

When filing a 2nd 1040 by paper does anything special need to be written on it?

I just changed an address on a return (client is moving to a different state). Form actually sent doesn't match the 8879 that they signed. Of course I didn't catch the error until after the return was accepted. Having them send the correct balance due with the corrected return seems better.

Thanks!

Nothing special on the second return. Just be sure it is mailed before April 17, 2012. Pretend it is the first one filed.

I have experienced too many hitches and glitches sending amended. Especially the long amount of time the IRS takes to process them.