ATX Community

New employer paid mortgage & RE taxes until old home sold

MN2V

The employer is not going to deduct the expense as a mortgage or real estate expense, instead he will reported as wages, therefore it's like if the employer paid the employee and employee paid the mortgage. Worst for example if the employer paid 10K towards the employee mortage, employer reports 10K as additional wages and no federal and state deduction, employee will be on the hook for taxes on 10K basically. Perfect if the employer paid 10k for the employees mortgage, however he reported 13K in additional wages, but 3K is being used to cover the taxes on the 10K.

Whether the employer grossed it up or not, it is income to the employee - no different than income used to buy a motorcycle or boat or food. The income loses its identity once the employee receives the benefit. The employee can deduct mortgage interest and taxes in the same manner as for any second residence, but that's the only deduction I can think of.

I agree with John. It appears to be a nonqualified moving expense paid for by the company. I had a similar situation this year where the new employer paid to help the home sell. Taxable wages. But in your case, it was for a deductible expense, so IMHO you should still be able to take the benefit of the mortgage interest and RE tax deductions.