ATX Community

Federal return filed, but needs extension for State and Local

Janitor Bob

Client previously filed her 1040 form electronically (Turbotax), but today just realized that it did not include her Ohio and local returns....and she is out of town on vacation. Ohio and her locality do not have seperate extension forms...they allow extension autimatically IF federal extension is filed. Even though she has already filed her Federal return, should she electronically file a 4868 so that her Ohio and local returns can be extended?

Hmmm, is she really your client if you didn't prepare her returns? Rhetorical question but I am a bit rankled today anyway. The friend of someone for whom I've been doing work gratis (recently died from MS and had been on disability for years) emailed a list of questions about how to report various items - inherited IRA, inherited annuity distributions, nearly $2000 in divs and does she have to file a Schedule B, too? These were inherited from her mother who passed last year.

I qualified answers by noting that I did not have the documents to see and closed with, "Hey, this is why I get the 'big bucks!' Good luck!" I was thinking if she inherited this stuff, she just might have wanted more than last minute hints!

Okay, grumble over. Out to shop now.

If she's a friend and you're helping out, submit a Federal extension. Not going to hurt the Federal status and will give her time to get back from vacation and submit her state/local returns.

I usually put in extensions for _everyone_ in early April, figuring if we make the deadline we're covered and if we don't, we're still covered. Payments? If needed (and I can figure it out - this assumes I have _some_ paperwork) they can mail 'em in.

Catherine

Only need the 8878 for extensions with electronic funds transfer. Since she's already completed the federal, there should be no balance due. Should only need to e-file 4868.

It's annoying that a message saying that the 8878 is required pops up on the EF tab even when no funds are being paid.

@Janitor Bob, I'm going to follow your lead on this one.

I have a part-year PA to extend. Federal already filed. PA says they take an automatic federal extension. But to file a PA extension, you have to state a valid reason (and not tax preparer needs more time). Also there is a list of who can file the extension and tax preparer is not one of them (unless EA or CPA).

So I'm going with the federal extension and see what happens.