ATX Community

Filing Seperate...Dependents

Janitor Bob

When a couple is married filing seperately, do all of the dependents go on the return of the one who provides the most support (highest income)?

Are the parents living together? Quickfinders Page 4-10 says that the parent with whom the child lived the greater portion of the year. If the child lived with each parent the same amount of time then the parent with the highest AGI gets the deduction. However, remember that MFS does not allow them to take EIC, Child care credit, tuition deductions. See page 4-7 for chart of disadvantages and lost credits and benefits for MFS.

Are the parents living together? Quickfinders Page 4-10 says that the parent with whom the child lived the greater portion of the year. If the child lived with each parent the same amount of time then the parent with the highest AGI gets the deduction. However, remember that MFS does not allow them to take EIC, Child care credit, tuition deductions. See page 4-7 for chart of disadvantages and lost credits and benefits for MFS.

That is what I thought....In this case, none of the disadvantages apply...their Federal refund is less, but Ohio state refund is much better is MFS...All added up, MFS is better by almost $200.00

That is what I thought....In this case, none of the disadvantages apply...their Federal refund is less, but Ohio state refund is much better is MFS...All added up, MFS is better by almost $200.00

About 2/3 of my married clients here in Ohio benefit that way, anywhere from $150-$400. I decide which children go where, so that neither parent has to pay IRS. I don't think it matters which one claims them, since they are married and living in the same household.

About 2/3 of my married clients here in Ohio benefit that way, anywhere from $150-$400. I decide which children go where, so that neither parent has to pay IRS. I don't think it matters which one claims them, since they are married and living in the same household.

couple is married and living together with the kids all year. Neither client will owe in any event, but if I put the kids on the husband's return (lower AGI) the federal refund is approx. $50.00 higher....but I hesitated putting them on his return because I was always taught that they should go on the return with the higher AGI.

Is their specific guidance on this from IRS or is it taxpayer's choice?

I'd hate to get a correcttion or raise red flags on something this petty.

couple is married and living together with the kids all year. Neither client will owe in any event, but if I put the kids on the husband's return (lower AGI) the federal refund is approx. $50.00 higher....but I hesitated putting them on his return because I was always taught that they should go on the return with the higher AGI.

Is their specific guidance on this from IRS or is it taxpayer's choice?

I'd hate to get a correcttion or raise red flags on something this petty.

I am not aware of any IRS guidelines concerning which parent claims the children in this kind of situation. I personally have chosen the way that is best for the client in terms of refund. I have been doing this for over 9 years with no issues to this point.

I don't think the IRS will concern themselves with such a trivial issue.

I have developed an Excel spreadsheet that quickly shows the benefit good or bad for filing separately versus filing jointly. On the sheet, I also include my extra fees for the second return in the comparison. If you would like, I will be glad to send it to you for you to check out. It also makes it real handy to print for the client.

I am not aware of any IRS guidelines concerning which parent claims the children in this kind of situation. I personally have chosen the way that is best for the client in terms of refund. I have been doing this for over 9 years with no issues to this point.

I have developed an Excel spreadsheet that quickly shows the benefit good or bad for filing separately versus filing jointly. On the sheet, I also include my extra fees for the second return in the comparison. If you would like, I will be glad to send it to you for you to check out. It also makes it real handy to print for the client.

Thanks!...That would be great! Please e-mail to me at [email protected]

Jack, could you also e-mail it to me? [email protected]