ATX Community

Sole Proprietor - Sch C Interest Deduction?

GraceNY

Sole Proprietor needs a new vehicle for her business (100% Business Use).

Rather than obtaining a vehicle loan through a bank, could she borrow the money from herself and deduct the interest on that loan on her Schedule C?

A properly drafted Promissory Note that included a repayment schedule, maturity date, default provisions etc would be executed.

Grace

>>A properly drafted Promissory Note that included a repayment schedule, maturity date, default provisions etc would be executed.<<

I wonder what sort of "default provisions" she has in mind. Then could she claim a bad debt when she refuses to pay herself?

On the other hand, you all know I'm an arrogant contrarian (at least on this forum), so of course I'm going to argue that she CAN do this. Furthermore, I insist that it is really not so unusual.

In fact, transactions between a business and its owners is a key planning element in choice of entity. She might want to look at forming an LLC, S-corp, or partnership. Even a sole proprietorship can elect to be taxed as a corporation, and that would pretty easily allow a shareholder loan. Allternatively, she could run her own non-business assets through a third party for a passbook or home equity loan, etc.

So, Grace, find out what exactly her business purpose is, and maybe we can find a legal way to accomplish it.