ATX Community

Internet Explorer 8

gebclsd

I have Explorer 8 on all the XP machines. (9 of them) Explorer 9 on all WIN7 machines. (2 of them) Upgrade and keep current on updates. Should be no issues.

"Problems" with Explorer 8 are typically user errors in set-up or poor internet protocol allowing trash to get into your system.

In order for ATX 2012 to communicate through the internet for the functions that require internet, you must be at IE 8 or higher.

The tech people at the seminar reinforced this.

Besides, Microsoft has stopped supporting Explorer 7 many many moons ago. in 2012, keeping current and keeping updated is essential.

• Like 1

IE 8 is fine. IE9 is better, and a lot less ugly. IE10, which isn't even out for Windows 7 yet, is even better and ALMOST half as good as every other browser out there.

I've already stopped supporting IE6 for most website projects that I do, and will soon be adding IE7 to that list. Microsoft is HORRIBLE at keeping up with web standards. I swear they're hell-bent on holding back innovation on the web.

Web standards compliance isn't the most important reason to upgrade IE, however. Security vulnerabilities are patched with every new release and hotfix. Keeping your system up to date means better overall security for your computer.

• Like 1

From Kommando.com today:

Hackers track your mouse

Hackers have found an exploit in all versions of Internet Explorer that lets them see your mouse's movements - even if you're not using IE! Avoid using Internet Explorer until Microsoft launches a fix.

Sounds like Chicken Little to me. I have heard of at least 50+ other such warnings since the inception of IE. Call me skeptical.

Each time you go to the Internet you have the risk to be hacked. No one denies that. No matter what browser you use to navigate.

ALSO, each time you cross the street at a traffic light, you risk to be hit by a car. No matter what means you use to cross.

Using an unpatched version of Windows, accessing the internet with old/unpatched versions of Outlook, Internet Explorer, Flash, and Adobe Acrobat is more like running back and forth across a busy intersection with your eyes closed.

• Like 1