ATX Community

New Tax Extender Bill

cred65

Income-tax rates. The top rate on ordinary income such as wages for joint filers earning more than $450,000 ($400,000 for single filers) would rise to 39.6%. Current law would be permanently extended for income earned below that level. Left unclear is whether the $450,000/$400,000 threshold refers to adjusted gross income (AGI) or taxable income. AGI doesn't include subtractions for itemized deductions, while taxable income does. (italics & bold added)

adjusted gross income (AGI) or taxable income; seems like to me that is a glaring difference.

I knew I should not have drank that whole bottle of vodka last night!!

I could be wrong but it appears that the two popular credits with my clients (Teachers $250 above the line deduction and Home energy credits) did not make it in the senate bill?? I can see lots of unhappy taxpayers!

SEC. 201. EXTENSION OF DEDUCTION FOR CERTAIN EXPENSES OF ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHERS.

(a) IN GENERAL

.—Subparagraph (D) of section 62(a)(2) is amended by striking ‘‘or 2011’’ and inserting ‘‘2011, 2012, or 2013’’.

(b ) EFFECTIVE DATE

.—The amendment made by this section shall apply to taxable years beginning after December 31, 2011

Title IV ENERGY TAX EXTENDERS

Sec.401.Extension of credit for energy-efficient existing homes.

Sec.402.Extension of credit for alternative fuel vehicle refueling property.

Sec.403.Extension of credit for 2- or 3-wheeled plug-in electric vehicles.

Sec.404.Extension and modification of cellulosic biofuel producer credit.

Sec.405.Extension of incentives for biodiesel and renewable diesel.

Sec.406.Extension of production credit for Indian coal facilities placed in serv-ice before 2009.

Sec.407.Extension and modification of credits with respect to facilities pro-ducing energy from certain renewable resources.

Sec.408.Extension of credit for energy-efficient new homes.

Sec.409.Extension of credit for energy-efficient appliances.

Sec.410.Extension and modification of special allowance for cellulosic biofuelplant property.

.Sec.411.Extension of special rule for sales or dispositions to implement FERCor State electric restructuring policy for qualified electric utilities.

Sec.412.Extension of alternative fuels excise tax credits

The good news? Scientists wielding electron microscopes were able to detect in the small print of the fiscal cliff bill around $15 billion in spending cuts. The bad news? There are some $620 billion in tax increases — about 41 times as much as any taxpayer savings. Time for some politicians to grow up.

Personally, I think it is time for them all to grow up. None of them really seem interested in doing the job they were elected to do - lead and govern.

>>say, $375,000 are considered middle class<<

The term "middle class" doesn't have much meaning except for political promises. Remember, we are talking marginal rates, not absolute. The EFFECTIVE tax rate continues to rise gradually as income exceeds the top margin so there is very little difference between 375 and 400. Also note that the capital gains rate for that top bracket jumps a third to 20%. And they're also in phaseout again for deductions and exemptions, starting well below 375.

They say the new rate only affects 2% of households--450 if they are married; 800 if they are shacking up. Only 425 if they're unmarried with children, but who cares about them?