ATX Community

Just in from IRS

lydia33

IRS Plans Jan. 30 Tax Season Opening For 1040 Filers

Following the January tax law changes made by Congress under the American Taxpayer Relief Act (ATRA), the Internal Revenue Service announced today it plans to open the 2013 filing season and begin processing individual income tax returns on Jan. 30.

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on that date after updating forms and completing programming and testing of its processing systems. This will reflect the bulk of the late tax law changes enacted Jan. 2. The announcement means that the vast majority of tax filers -- more than 120 million households -- should be able to start filing tax returns starting Jan 30.

The 22 January date was before Congress voted 1 January, so I was expecting a later date.

This is a good year to replace your lost clients with more loyal clients, those that value your service and expertise and friendly smile over a quick refund. You'll have more time for clients getting their Forms 1099-B in February! And, more time for clients not getting refunds but needing your planning expertise. Opportunities abound.

So, as your loyal clients call in, let them know that you do have time to take on a few new select clients, and ask them to please refer you to their good friends, or teachers/retirees/investors/"insert category here" like you. If you're looking for investors, tell your broker you have room for a few new clients. That kind of thing. Let the price shoppers go.

I just lost a long-time client that took a lot of time. She was sweet, but I kept raising her price as her neediness increased. She called to thank me but she found someone who will prepare her taxes for less money. It does work!