ATX Community

a bunch of payroll questions.

joanmcq

:spaz: I'm doing payroll for the first time since 2004 or so, and we didn't efile anything. First of all, do I get the 10 digit PIN from the IRS for my client? ATX has a nifty little form and it seems I can efile for the efile PIN. And am I right in thinking each client has a different one? I don't think I'm an 'agent'.

Second, in ATX nothing seems to be flowing between the 940 or the 941. Is this correct?

Can I put all of the payroll forms in one client file? Currently I have the W-2/3, the 940 & 941 all in one file. Do I efile the 940 & 941 separately or together? I know the W2/3 goes through the SS website. I registered for the SS site way back when I prepared them for a client back in 2004 or so. Do I need to reregister?

My ERO & Paid Preparer info isn't populating on the 940 or 941 even though I've gone to the Preparer Manager and clicked "enter on form". Could this be because I don't have the 10 digit PIN yet?

Also, the client sent in the CA forms himself from what was prepared in Medlin, and the DE 88 didn't fill out with the different types of taxes differentiated on the different lines. All of it was put under unemployment. Will this be an issue? Can Medlin chime in with what needs to be done to get the DE 88 to print properly? Is it maybe a program issue or user error?

I'll know a bit more about Medlin after I do my own first payroll tomorrow. I used the program back in 2004 and like it a lot; I just don't have current experience with it.

I'm sure Medlin and others will chime in too but here is my reply. I have a different PIN for each client, received via the process of efiling the application which you saw in the program. I might technically be an agent but each has their own PIN.

I think the program puts 940 with the 941 AND with the W2/W3. I choose to use the 940 with the W2 file as it populates from the W2/W3. I send W2's via BSO/SSA and efile the 940. For SSA you have to change your password every 3 months or it takes a process to get a new one. It isn't as easy as with E-Services. You may have to reregister. Call and see.

Entering the preparer info on the form should not be dependent on the PIN. I have one client that refuses to do the PIN thing so I have to print his out and he mails them. Last year for that client, I swear!

I am in Ohio so cannot address CA issues, sorry.

In Medlin, when printing a DE88, it is a fill in the blank deal. We do not fill or prefill any of the values. The DE9 and DE9C are liability forms only, and are filled using the paycheck data, and via input boxes to confirm the CA UI rate for the business, and if needed, to confirm exemption from CA ETT.

How do you guys charge for your write up clients if you don't do their live payroll? Do you charge a flat engagement fee and a per employee charge or by the hour etc.

I have only 3 write up clients left because the bigger ones went to a local payroll processing company. I did not want to do live payroll (staffing issues).

I am finding that many local bookeping companies have so called Quickbook coaches that go into a small business and take care of their accounting and also pick up the payroll processing. Is Medlin payroll able to import data from quickbooks?

We charge a flat fee each quarter to prep forms. If we have to calc any payroll (to let client know paycheck amt) we charge hourly for any additional time, we usually doesn't amt to much.

I hate payroll and ATX has made it worse. I think I'm going to start wiping my hands of payroll and let the bigger companies take it. It's not worth the hassle. You think you are doing your client a favor, but I don't see them bringing me any chocolates.

I hear you. That is why I got out of live payroll because all you get is pissed off employees calling you at all times of the day wondering why their pay check is not what they thought would be. (May be because boss reduced your OT hours!). The business owner or his wife who usually runs the office and cuts checks conveniently tells the employee to call the taxman who prepared the payroll!

If you want to do live payroll you have to be properly staffed (I will not attemp to do it part time) and deal with all those nasty calls. Then when you want to get paid for your aggravation the owner balks!

I think after the fact payroll is still managable on a part time basis though the pond is drying up!