ATX Community

TaxExact Problems/Issues

TaxMan74

Linda I don't know your situation so this is general recommendation. If you are on the verge of panic and have at least $100 bucks on you, go and buy TaxAct today on their website by a credit card. You will be able to download and use right away. I am going to do that myself if TRX does not come through on their repeated promises, because I have appointments this week and I CAN NOT risk my reputation!!

Another option though not recommended but could be used if your client agrees with this and I strongly suggest you get them to sign something that says they want this option because they can't wait till 1/30 is to use PDF Fillable Forms for easy cases. But make sure you print a blank copy of Form 8948 from last years software and check box #5. You could probably add an explanation as to why you are being forced to use this.

This is an option if you can't swing TaxAct right now but you must do a return to keep a client. Keep in mind this is extra work and you have to have a cooperative client.

Just my 2 cents!

I have never faced this level of frustration in any tax season! This is for the recordbooks!

Hi Terry, I think I posted that after I uninstalled I wanted to do a clean installation with the new update. However TRX has not yet released a new update so I am waiting. Once that is released I will reinstall. I am afraid if I reinstall 4.0.0.10 what i had before it will give me the same problems.

As you can see in this site quite a few of us are in panic staring at appointments with no software that works. We are in a boat without a paddle and the storm is right on top of us!

What are you doing for a backup option. Folks around here are seriously considering TaxAct because of the price though I saw someone say to try OLTPRO (on line version).

Pls. give us the pros and cons of OLTPRO if you have used it? Is it a homebrewed software like TRX or rebrand of some other software?

I think I saw the price at $700 someone posted? Not cheap but comparable to TaxAct unlimited version.

Well, honestly, I don't have a backup plan. In my area, folks haven't gotten all of their W-2 forms and other information. Typically, my season begins around the end of January. Right now, I have S-Corps, one partnership, and one individual with multiple rental properties that have come in. I am working with one S-Corp providing them with remaining depreciation of their assets for purposes of selling and liquidating that corp. So, I do handle individuals but normally work with the higher end client. I haven't processed a RAL within the last 5 years as I don't deal with those clients and if I do have one come in, I talk them out of doing the RAL as well as any other bank products. Heck I don't even know if RALs are even available to us anymore. To answer your question, I am patiently waiting of the updates for the short term. It doesn't matter to me at this late date what software to use as there will be a learning curve and just as many frustrations if not more and I'm not willing to go there.

For the long term, if the season is full of trouble with TRX then I will probably make a switch. Personally, I don't want to see that happen but if it does, then it does.

Are you guys concerned that there was no updates today. It is almost 8pm. I saw one post where TRX said that there would a update on 1/21? Ok if not 1/21 then 1/22. What about states, I have not even tested a state return to see if it even works or calculates correctly especially MA, VT.

If I were counting on TRX at this point, the single biggest concern I'd have is that many of the problems TRX is facing are problems I dealt with when I purchased Tax Exact years ago. It never worked then, I'll be absolutely shocked if it works fully this season.

Second biggest red flag - the CEO is on a message board he doesn't control asking for help identifying problems with his product and he gets defensive when people bash a product that isn't working. (after he publicly proclaimed he wouldn't be giving out refunds because the software was AWESOME!!!)

Lastly, all the problems identified are on the 1040 software. When people start working on the corporate returns, do you think it'll work? I did part of a 1065 and gave up. Haven't tried it in 2 weeks so I don't know if they've fixed it but I've yet to see anyone mention the problems I uncovered. Over the weekend I noticed I still wasn't able to bring my clients forward on corporate returns.

Well, honestly, I don't have a backup plan. In my area, folks haven't gotten all of their W-2 forms and other information. Typically, my season begins around the end of January. Right now, I have S-Corps, one partnership, and one individual with multiple rental properties that have come in. I am working with one S-Corp providing them with remaining depreciation of their assets for purposes of selling and liquidating that corp. So, I do handle individuals but normally work with the higher end client. I haven't processed a RAL within the last 5 years as I don't deal with those clients and if I do have one come in, I talk them out of doing the RAL as well as any other bank products. Heck I don't even know if RALs are even available to us anymore. To answer your question, I am patiently waiting of the updates for the short term. It doesn't matter to me at this late date what software to use as there will be a learning curve and just as many frustrations if not more and I'm not willing to go there.

For the long term, if the season is full of trouble with TRX then I will probably make a switch. Personally, I don't want to see that happen but if it does, then it does.

Terry,

Did you do any test tax return for S-corp, Corp or Partnership using Taxexact?. I do have few business returns and anxious to see how it is working.

Thanks

Well, adios amigos. It's been fun, but I decided to jump the sinking ship before it goes under. I bought Drake software today, and in spite of the expense, I feel really good about finally moving in a positive direction. This is the time of year I'm usually encouraging people to come see me to do their taxes, and so far I've been hoping nobody calls! Somehow that just doesn't seem right. Now that I have a workable program installed, I'm starting to get excited about tax season and the extra income it brings. Of course, the first few clients will help pay for the huge mistake I made by trusting TRX, i.e. $340 for TaxWorks, $300 loss from turning down Drake's discounted offer last spring (because, of course, I already had my software for 2012 from TRX) and the $1395 I paid Drake today to get a working program installed. But in spite of the blow to my bank account (or rather my credit card), I'm having an amazing feeling of relief!! I've needed to call Drake support 3 times now to help with the installation process, and every time an actual human answered the phone who was able to help me immediately. Things are looking up . . .

Linda you are a brave lady. I salute you. I thought you would buy TaxAct but you bought the Cadillac! Keep us posted how you like Drake. Hope you get some new paying clients to pay for Drake. I wish you all the best and hopefully you will sleep better tonight.

BTW they were quick to install it in one day and are they going to help you convert existing clients?

Thank you for your well-wishes, Taxman74 and Taxed!! I wish you both a successful tax season as well. I wavered between TaxAct and Drake for awhile, all the time knowing that if they were the same price, there would have been no question. I downloaded demos of both on my computer, and Drake was way easier for me to navigate than TaxAct. Also, the posts on this forum and other forums convinced me that it was an excellent program and had a tech support dept that was readily available and helpful (imagine both of those things at the same time!). Not sure if this was a valid point, too, but it seems to me that the bigger companies are less likely to be bought out than the smaller ones, so that was another point for Drake. My husband also encouraged me by saying whatever the cost, the most important thing is that I get something going that's minimum hassle because there just isn't time for any more fiddling around not being ready for clients.

Yes, they can convert clients from TaxWorks. I just got the program downloaded right before I left my office, so haven't started on that yet, but of course that will be a priority tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

And yes, I'm sure I will sleep better tonight . . .

Doug,

The EIC is being calculated based on the 2011 figures. If you will check the EIC Worksheet it clearly states 2011 and has the correct figures for 2011.

BTW, I deleted the return and input it as new, still having a problem with the dependent last name.

And YES, I have updated to V 11.

Nellie

Thank you for your well-wishes, Taxman74 and Taxed!! I wish you both a successful tax season as well. I wavered between TaxAct and Drake for awhile, all the time knowing that if they were the same price, there would have been no question. I downloaded demos of both on my computer, and Drake was way easier for me to navigate than TaxAct. Also, the posts on this forum and other forums convinced me that it was an excellent program and had a tech support dept that was readily available and helpful (imagine both of those things at the same time!). Not sure if this was a valid point, too, but it seems to me that the bigger companies are less likely to be bought out than the smaller ones, so that was another point for Drake. My husband also encouraged me by saying whatever the cost, the most important thing is that I get something going that's minimum hassle because there just isn't time for any more fiddling around not being ready for clients.

Yes, they can convert clients from TaxWorks. I just got the program downloaded right before I left my office, so haven't started on that yet, but of course that will be a priority tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

And yes, I'm sure I will sleep better tonight . . .

Lindkay,

I left for Drake as well. Cost is steep, but the product and service have been excellent so far. I went the extra step of getting the 2011 software and converting all my files over from TRX and checking everything out before updating to the 2012 software. Took a little more time, but has really helped the learning curve and only had a few relatively minor issues. I was very pleased that all of my clients' depreciation schedules came over without a hitch! Drake's tutorials are really good. I have called support numerous times and always got a quick and knowledgeable response. I wish everyone on this board good luck. I do hope for your sakes that TRX works out for you. Have a good tax season!

Art

I just finished installing update 11. Still can't see 2011 clients? The 8829 form still has 40 as blank. Not calculating depreciation. No ststes.

When will that be available? I have a full day appointments on Sat??

When will update 12 come? Will that fix this?

I am so excited!! Did my first actual tax return today. Downloaded Drake yesterday, converted my clients from TaxWorks this morning, and completed a return by noon today for a client that was in my office 2 days ago. That was an embarrassing and humbling situation, but now I get to call her and tell her her return is done and ready and that she can come in to sign anytime before Jan 30th. It should have been like this all along, but in an effort to avoid forking out a bunch more money, I stuck with TRX for awhile. This is such a relief! It is totally worth the money, because now I can actually do tax returns, which is pretty much my only income.

Linda

I just finished installing update 11. Still can't see 2011 clients? The 8829 form still has 40 as blank. Not calculating depreciation. No ststes.

When will that be available? I have a full day appointments on Sat??

When will update 12 come? Will that fix this?

Taxed, I just updated the TaxExact and it is showing version 12. Did you try to update with the new version?. I will be away from my computer a while and curious now what all the issues got fixed. Keep us all informed.

Doug,

The EIC is being calculated based on the 2011 figures. If you will check the EIC Worksheet it clearly states 2011 and has the correct figures for 2011.

BTW, I deleted the return and input it as new, still having a problem with the dependent last name.

And YES, I have updated to V 11.

Nellie

Nellie,

Did the version 12 fix the issue you were experiencing?