ATX Community

TaxExact Problems/Issues

TaxMan74

Proformaed returns don't pull prices out of default price list.

Proformaed returns show only taxpayer's first name and SSN, no last name, no address.

For MFJ returns, only spouse's first name and taxpayer's SSN, no last name, no address.

I ran into the same issue when I did a trial return. Hopefully, next update will fix this issue.

When you email Doug and get a response form him about when the issue will be fixed, please post here the details. I will update the main post with the details

Have already e-mailed him, no response yet. Sent him private message, and I think he blocked it. I see a red Block flag in the message. Sent him a message on his website. So I guess I will not hear back from him??

Proformaed returns show only taxpayer's first name and SSN, no last name, no address.

For MFJ returns, only spouse's first name and taxpayer's SSN, no last name, no address.

I think Doug blocked me so I can't get any answers. But do you know when this Proforma will be fixed. Has he given any date. I can't believe that in my entire professional life, i have been so frustrated by a software developer!

If this proforma does not work, how will you guys handle your clients next week? Have you been able to test your state and city tax returns? I already have appointments booked for next Sat. because these people are going on a cruise and they insist I get the ball rolling early.

I am finding most people have read the news or watched TV enough to know that the preparer can still do the return and keep it and file on 1/30. Also they want to make sure they are ahead in the line to get refunds, now that IRS is not promising a specific date for refund deposit.

Please add to the list:

Program is not allowing a dependent last name to be different than the taxpayer. If overridden on interview mode it defaults back to taxpayer last name. If overridden in the input mode it gives a Error Rejection Code.

Thanks,

Nellie

Nelie, I just did a HOH return with a dependent with a different last name and mine worked fine. The name change has to be on the Client information sheet and you have to put your cursor at the end of the last name and backspace to delete it (This keeps us from making accidential deletes) and then re-enter the correct last name. Try this and let me know if you need further help on this. This was on a brand new return not a proforma'd return, is that a new return you are working on too?

Doug

I am getting this fixed at first I was not following you but I get it now.

<<<<The reason most MFJ people ask me what would be the tax situation with/ out the business. It is a very natural question. I don't see this software allowing what if analysis.>>>>

It doesn't really matter what the situation would be. If the client has a business then he/she MUST report all income and expenses to arrive at his/her bottom line. I wouldn't allow a client to make a decision to withhold income and expense information if they didn;t like the outcome of the analysis. Personally, I would never do an analysis like this. Doing so, is a direct violation of Circular 230. I am sure you don't want the penalites from this. Maybe I am reading you wrong.

We are not talking about a taxpayer deliberately witholding info. We are talking about what if analysis for a MFJ client to see what impact the business income and expenses has on the total family tax situation. I think it is a natural question if both spouses work. When the Sch C net income is a loss they can see how that loss reduced their overall taxes.

Another common question I get is MFS. I run that analysis as well. I get asked for a MFJ, so how much of the refund is mine how much is hers?

It is a direct violation of Circular 230 if the tax professional help understand how different forms impact their overall taxes as long as the tax professional is helping them to cheat.

How many of your clients who are waiters/waitresses declare all their cash tips on the return? As we all now at the end of the day the taxpayer is responsible for what is on the return. We are not required to audit them other than due diligence!

Okay, as I said I may be reading you wrong. I did not intend to offend. I just don't understand a "what if" when there isn't a "what if" choice. "What if" implies to me the possibility of a client making a decision to see which way is best. Now, if this is being used for a client to determine whether it is profitable to continue in business or it is hurting more than helping, then I can see a "what if" during tax planning and not preparation. Again, JMHO

Nelie, I just did a HOH return with a dependent with a different last name and mine worked fine. The name change has to be on the Client information sheet and you have to put your cursor at the end of the last name and backspace to delete it (This keeps us from making accidential deletes) and then re-enter the correct last name. Try this and let me know if you need further help on this. This was on a brand new return not a proforma'd return, is that a new return you are working on too?

Doug

Doug, this is a return I did a proforma on a few days ago. I had to delete the existing dependent and add another. These clients are foster parents and I did notice that the previous dependent also had an incorrect last name after the proforma.

I will try your way in the morning and let you know how it goes. I really don't want to input this as a new return - ughhh

Thanks for the help.

Nellie

Doug, this is a return I did a proforma on a few days ago. I had to delete the existing dependent and add another. These clients are foster parents and I did notice that the previous dependent also had an incorrect last name after the proforma.

I will try your way in the morning and let you know how it goes. I really don't want to input this as a new return - ughhh

Thanks for the help.

Nellie

No there is an issue with the interview mode on dependents last name that is different from the taxpayers last name but we are all over it.

Doug

I just started uninstalling the 4.0.0.10 version. Will reinstall and see if that makes any difference? I am really puzzled why on the Sch A screen a line# has a figure but the PDF under view it shows 0? Where is that figure going? Is there an issue with the PDF not picking up the amount? I could not figure out to do a screen print?

Still cannot figure out how to produce a tax organizer. Somebody here told me to go to reports and click on organizer, but there is no choice of clients in the menu to choose from, so it says zero results. How do I generate an organizer?

Also still wondering if there are going to be states available soon.

Can we also get the watermarks out of the forms so we can at least do some basic returns and print them out for our clients? I can't wait till January 30th to schedule everyone who wants their return filed asap, and I can't give them copies of their tax returns if it has "DO NOT FILE TILL JANUARY 30TH, 2013" in huge letters across every single page. I mean, we all know we can't file till the 30th, so we don't really need it written on every page of the tax return.

Linda I checked that and you are correct. It is gone in the current update. I remember seeing a one pager in an earlier update and I did give TRX negative feedback on that organizer. I thought it was NOT professional looking.

When do you send out organizers in your practice? I send them every year on Jan 2 (just to take the cheers out of the holiday season!). When I got the CD in Dec I realized that there would be no organizers so I printed one from 2011 and put it in Word to make it generic enough and used that this year. It was a lot of work because I had to copy some figures over but I could NOT risk not sending an organizer. My long time clients would have thought I went out of business, because they tell me that is their wakeup call to get ready for taxes!

So Linda do you think it would serve any value to send Organizers so late?? I think that train has already left the station!

Good point Gene. The old software had unpaid as an option, though I never bothered to change the default even when i was doing free 1040EZ for my client's kids.

May be in the next update (God knows when we will see it) we will get Proforma, states and some of these issues fixed so that we can at least prepare a return and give the client a decent copy! Is that too much to ask? I got a full day's appointment this Sat! I am sweating in -2F!!! :(

Taxed, I know it's late for organizers for most clients, but I do have some people who still want them, and these are clients who don't come till late in the season because they have lots of stuff to gather. I guess it was you that said earlier that the organizer provided by TaxExact was a bad one, but I just wanted to see it, then found that I couldn't even produce one just to take a look at it. That screen also has other kinds of reports that aren't accessible as well, but none of this seems very important anymore, because I can't wait around much longer to see progress on this software. I'm going to see how the promised updates for today work, then I'll be making a major (and most likely expensive) decision, I suppose. Waiting any longer would probably be way more expensive. I saw a client yesterday and it was very humbling having to tell her that I had to delete her from last year and re-enter all her info, that I couldn't do a state return and that I couldn't even print out her copies of the federal. I'm trying to keep everybody else at bay just a little longer till I'm ready, but she really wanted to come in to find out if she was getting a refund or not. I did her state return last night by hand just so I could let her know that info, and I guess I'm spoiled by software, because it took awhile! I suppose it's good practice to get back to the basics like that sometimes.

Linda I can understand exactly what you are going through. I just walked in after delivering W2 to one of my payroll client and what do I see on my phone. 3 messages from my clients (all EIC taxpayer) wanting to see me this week after work. I had already told 2 others who called last week to PLEASE PLEASE wait because my software is not yet ready. I am waiting for the update to come today as you mentioned to see if I can at least give them a Fed and State return copy (I don't care about that 1/30 warning) . If that does not happen by 5pm I will be forced to call these people and make an appointment. I can NOT tell them to go away. I have to figure out what I am going to do between now and 5pm.

2 of these people have child care data on 2011 return and the other is a Sch A filer (she owns a home with her mom). So now without proforma I have to enter all that data.

I just can't see me doing forms by hand and give it to them. I look stupid! May be I use that to get all the info, but then i have my organizer I don't need paper tax forms?

Like you I have to make a decision real soon and TRX has been stringing us for too long to be able to make that decision, but NOW it is either Sh*** or get off the P** :wall:

BTW I would recommend, you create your own organizer by using the 2011 as a template like I did. Even if TRX produces a half way decent Organizer you don't know when you will see that and what bugs it may have. That is why I took a jump with the Organizers.

• Like 1

Just realized today is January 22nd, and we haven't seen the Jan 21st updates yet, so I'm out. Too much at risk. I have to have something that works very soon, and even the promised updates are already a day late, so no reason to wait any longer. I'm already on the verge of a panic attack.