ATX Community

IRS accepting and Acknowledging 1040 already? Drake?

Jack from Ohio

I believe some transmitters (Drake, Taxwise) who were ready were given an initial quota of E-files that they could transmit under "Hub Testing"conditions. I am about to send a few e-files on Monday after a patch to correct a MeF rejection is corrected by Taxwise. I believe the quota for them is 500,000 returns. I will let you know Monday how it goes.

But the IRS is not issuing refunds (or so they say) on the test returns.

Tom

Hollister, CA

Well, rather, they're not "processing" the returns until Jan 30th, whatever that means. The test return is a "real" return in that if you have an acknowledged return from their controlled launch / early filing program it's a real acknowledged return and all that. Just means that getting it accepted before the 30th isn't going to speed up the refund than getting it accepted on the 30th.

David1980 is correct. E-filing early before 30th just takes the wind out of HRB who has been running non stop ads in our area that they are e-filing. So now I can too, and both of us will have our efiles stacked up mile high at IRS and then they hopefully start processing refunds starting 1/30.

I am expecting a IRS computer crash on 1/30 when the flood gates open up! It has happened before.

• Like 2

Same reason I am waiting to file any returns till Feb. 1.

Good choice, unfortunately I have one client that is in a very nasty custody battle and must e-file ASAP to prevent boyfriend from claiming the child. Every year I get a few of those rush jobs right after new year!

Good choice, unfortunately I have one client that is in a very nasty custody battle and must e-file ASAP to prevent boyfriend from claiming the child. Every year I get a few of those rush jobs right after new year!

Taxed - if their in a custody battle how is filing early going to stop the boyfriend from still trying to claim the child and you get the IRS involved with something your client needs to resolve before you file her return !

The IRS does not care about custody battles. The ability to claim a child as dependent is based on the fact, circumstances and very clearly laid out rules. If the parent that is not allowed to claim the child by IRS regulations does so, the other parent paper files, and then sends documentation to the IRS when the letter arrives.

I deal with at least 2 dozen of these each tax season.

"...and must e-file ASAP to prevent boyfriend from claiming the child." is not reason to hurry the process.

In my Not So Humble Opinion, when the amount of tax refund received by claiming the child is the most important thing in the parent's life, they truly have more serious issues that need addressed for the sake of the child.

• Like 1