ATX Community

Taxworks as bad as TRX don't go there

mrichman333

So I knew Taxworks was just like TRX so I went over to their site and contacted sales

I explained to the Salesman that I was a TRX customer and that

1. They changed the program and I do not like the changes

2. It is not fully functional.

3. I viewed the demo on their website and it is just like TRX from prior years.

4. I need to start filing right away.

The salesman DID NOT tell me

1. The demo is nothing like the software this year

2. My state NJ is not available yet.

Get this the NJ “Expected release date” is 02/28/2013

Right, like I can tell my clients that.

Hi mrichman333,

I'm sorry TaxWorks didn't workout for you. Just so you know, the demo on the website is not the new product. We had to use last year's demo as the new product was in development through the sales season. Next year's demo will be the enhanced version of TaxWorks.

You can view a video of the enhanced TaxWorks here: https://www.taxworks.com/

Regarding what the salesman did not tell you:

1) There are many similarities between this year's TaxWorks and TaxWorks of the past. Most notable are the five pane screens that preparers use to complete a return.

2) You are correct. NJ is not availbable yet. However, it may be available by 02/14/13. I realize this may be too late for you.

Again, I'm sorry for any inconvienience and hope you will consider TaxWorks in the future.

Alex

hope you will consider TaxWorks in the future.

Alex

Well, if the 2013 version of TaxWorks is as good as the 2011 and prior versions I would consider it if the price was right.

We have been spoiled getting TaxWorks at <$350 for the past few years ... but I really liked it. Maybe offering a good price to users of this forum would get you a lot of people purchasing nex year TaxWorks. :)

Just opened Tax Works and NJ (where I live and prepare taxes) are still not ready, they are still listing an expected date of 2/28/13

In TRX the NJ forms don't line up exp. a $28 refund is positioned in the .28 cent box.

Why don't you ask for a full refund? Redgear is giving refunds for dissatisfied customers unlike TRX that is hiding like a criminal!!!

We certainly haven't hid from refund requests. Email me at rgcommunications(@)taxworks.com and I can help you out. I realize it has been a frustrating year for TaxWorks users and I apologize for that. The good news is the software is stabalizing and many of our preparers are getting their work done. Unfortunately the early issues with the TaxWorks updater put us behind on some state forms, like NJ. We're getting there but it is undoubtedly frustrating for some of our users.

Alex

We certainly haven't hid from refund requests. Email me at rgcommunications(@)taxworks.com and I can help you out. I realize it has been a frustrating year for TaxWorks users and I apologize for that. The good news is the software is stabalizing and many of our preparers are getting their work done. Unfortunately the early issues with the TaxWorks updater put us behind on some state forms, like NJ. We're getting there but it is undoubtedly frustrating for some of our users.

Alex

Thank you Alex I am sending an email

I purchased TaxExact the last week in December 2012 for $339.94. I was not told that the software had lots of issues. The software arrived in early January with no paperwork and a cracked unsealed case. I had to call several times before I finally got a CID and a PID number in order to register the product. The only way I got through to somebody (this after being put on hold several times for hours) was to press "2" for the sales department because customer service support was not answering at all. After I got the product registered (finally), I entered in my own tax information to use as a "guinea pig" return as this was my first time using this software and I wanted to make sure I knew the software inside and out before my clients started coming in. Lo and behold, there were problems. When I previewed my return, I discovered that not only did the state return not pickup the state schedule A, but it was not updated to the 2012 forms. I have called several times to find out when Kentucky will be updated and available and the date keeps being moved back. On Friday, February 15th, they told me it would be today when it would be updated. I certainly hope so. I've had 2 client returns for 2 weeks now and have lost other customers because the software is not working--even after 36 updates unrelated to the state returns. I don't know what to do. TRX won't give refunds and I can't afford other software. I am hoping that at the federal e-file will work. So far there is no requirement that the state has to be e-filed that I know of so I will be able to do the state manually. I'm a very small business and I can't afford software that doesn't work. Does anybody know for sure when Kentucky and Indiana will be released? Also, if anyone has any suggestions for affordable software that works, I'd greatly appreciate it. I will not be going back to TRX next year and have filed a complaint with the BBB. I'm down to just 14 clients because of them and I seriously need to grow my business. Thanks.

• Like 1

I purchased TaxExact the last week in December 2012 for $339.94. I was not told that the software had lots of issues. The software arrived in early January with no paperwork and a cracked unsealed case. I had to call several times before I finally got a CID and a PID number in order to register the product. The only way I got through to somebody (this after being put on hold several times for hours) was to press "2" for the sales department because customer service support was not answering at all. After I got the product registered (finally), I entered in my own tax information to use as a "guinea pig" return as this was my first time using this software and I wanted to make sure I knew the software inside and out before my clients started coming in. Lo and behold, there were problems. When I previewed my return, I discovered that not only did the state return not pickup the state schedule A, but it was not updated to the 2012 forms. I have called several times to find out when Kentucky will be updated and available and the date keeps being moved back. On Friday, February 15th, they told me it would be today when it would be updated. I certainly hope so. I've had 2 client returns for 2 weeks now and have lost other customers because the software is not working--even after 36 updates unrelated to the state returns. I don't know what to do. TRX won't give refunds and I can't afford other software. I am hoping that at the federal e-file will work. So far there is no requirement that the state has to be e-filed that I know of so I will be able to do the state manually. I'm a very small business and I can't afford software that doesn't work. Does anybody know for sure when Kentucky and Indiana will be released? Also, if anyone has any suggestions for affordable software that works, I'd greatly appreciate it. I will not be going back to TRX next year and have filed a complaint with the BBB. I'm down to just 14 clients because of them and I seriously need to grow my business. Thanks.

If you used your credit card, then it should be easy for you to get a chargeback as you purchased it late December. Make sure you contact TRX and ask for a refund and return instructions. Your CC company wants proof that you tried that. Include a copy of your complaint with the BBB and if you documented your calls, tell them.

Many of us are using Taxwise. There is a discussion where TRX members were able to get Taxwise at a reduced rate.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been a customer of TRX for 5 years now....I WAS a customer,this year the software AND customer service was(is)awful...I had 14 client returns finished and waiting to efile...I'd still be waiting if I hadn't switched software.I called for 5 days and waited on hold for hours and hours...terrible!

I emailed Zach Benefield and gave him my phone number to walk me through how to un-lock efile...

He never called me..even when I told him I've been on hold for 5 days!! Un-believable..Their software had a lot of changes in it this year....and the service people were not trained properly on how to fix problems...Did anyone else have problems getting through like I did? Anyway,I emailed Karen Bills at customer sevice and asked for a refund...knowing full well I wouldn't get one...and I didn't..so this is my only recourse,writing a bad review,I wrote one on yelp to...They just kicked me to the curb and acted like it was no big deal.It feals great to be able to write this review...I ended up with proseries from Intuit and couldn't be happier,they actually answer the phone when you have a problem and fix it.....As consumers we hold the power...when we purchase a product thats not good we to let people know...

Thanks,

Jeff Addiego

Jeff, There are a lot of tax prepares with similar TRX experiences on this forum. You wont have to look far to find them. There may be a few avenues for recousre available to you. Start with a credit card dispute if you made the purchase on credit. Also, file complaints with the TN Attorney General and the murfreesboro TN BBB. They have have a long list of complaints against TRX. Good luck.