ATX Community

Real Estate Taxes -- what are you deducting?

Gloria

Are you only deducting the amounts on the property tax bill that have a percentage allocated to each Taxing Agency and not deducting the amounts that do not have a percentage (school bonds, garbage, sewer, land use, etc.)? Just want to make sure I am not short-changing my clients.

Sewer and water can be usage fees and not property taxes; if usage fees, not deductible on Schedule A.

I was pretty sure about the usage fees, but what about amounts charged for school bonds (in many areas where new schools are being build, taxpayers pay for a portion of the bond with the property taxes).

>>amounts charged for... <<

A couple of years ago California came up with a clever idea. They would require the Assessor's Parcel Number for any property tax deduction, so they could cross-check because the rule is that only "ad valorem" taxes are deductible. Those are the ones that are based on property value. Then an interesting thing happened, which shows that the IRS is not such a monolithic evil as we usually think. Some government lawyer pointed out that the LAW doesn't actually limit it to value-based taxes, just whatever is "for the general good." Of course, nobody knows what that means because nobody can agree on what this country needs. And (in my opinion) Congress will be the last ones to figure it out.

So we just deduct everything. If you pay it to the tax collector, it's a tax. Not counting late fees.

• Like 1

Oh... just deduct the whole thing, you got to leave something for the IRS auditor to find and justify his work. Better it be something small rather than a larger issue. :read:

TOTALLY agree with Jack, only once did i have an agent look at the tax bill, usually they just look at the 1098. Besides, our bills here are on fiscal years so getting the correct deduction would be a process for a $100-$200 adjustment to average tax bills of $$10-15.00

• Like 1