ATX Community

Three choices: Do nothing, Change, Upgrade

SFA

The computer isn't making the difference, it is the software. I have a 4 year old gateway and a new dell and they both load slowly with the new system. Printing has gotten faster but the program temporarily hangs and my software clients say that there are problems accessing the database efficiently. The 28th is the last day we have to ask for a refund and unfortunately they pushed the 12.10 release to to 12/27. Our legal counsel has suggested we notify them on the 28th of a request for refund if the 12.10 release does not solve the issues. He suggested that those of us waiting ask the company to extend the deadline due to tardiness of addressing the issues. We also have a number of users in California that are looking at a class suit against CCH.

The computer isn't making the difference, it is the software. I have a 4 year old gateway and a new dell and they both load slowly with the new system. Printing has gotten faster but the program temporarily hangs and my software clients say that there are problems accessing the database efficiently. The 28th is the last day we have to ask for a refund and unfortunately they pushed the 12.10 release to to 12/27. Our legal counsel has suggested we notify them on the 28th of a request for refund if the 12.10 release does not solve the issues. He suggested that those of us waiting ask the company to extend the deadline due to tardiness of addressing the issues. We also have a number of users in California that are looking at a class suit against CCH.

Grand- I agree with you that the software is the problem- we all assumed that our hardware that has worked so well with ATX would be equally as effective this year (and that the program itself would be functional, which it obviously isn't) - that being said- working with the defective ATX software necessitates a hardware upgrade to make the software even marginally useful- and it all comes down to the original 3 choices presented in the 1st post do nothing, change, or upgrade- right or wrong I at least am trying the upgrade- I probably won't ever know if I made the right choice

Grand- I agree with you that the software is the problem- we all assumed that our hardware that has worked so well with ATX would be equally as effective this year (and that the program itself would be functional, which it obviously isn't) - that being said- working with the defective ATX software necessitates a hardware upgrade to make the software even marginally useful- and it all comes down to the original 3 choices presented in the 1st post do nothing, change, or upgrade- right or wrong I at least am trying the upgrade- I probably won't ever know if I made the right choice

Installed the SSD last night- not as simple as I had hoped as I needed 3 SATA drive connections to do most easily, only had two, but swapping a few cables around and adding a USB dvd drive I was lucky to have on hand, I was able to run the SSD clone software-which went flawlessly. After installation, ran a few tests- the computer boot time is dramatically faster, ATX and client loading time is much better, I would guess load time is 30-50 percent of previous times. One thing I did not expect- the machine is now amazingly quiet. Total installation about 1 hour 20 minutes, if I had to do it on a second machine I think it would only take about 30 minutes. All in all, for 80 bucks a satisfying experience so far, as, together with an earlier memory upgrade, the ATX program is at least usable, and crashes seem to be a thing of the past.

• Like 1

Now that I have a super-duper computer (as RitaB would say), I have noticed that all my programs are running faster ....... except for ATX.

ATX still loads slowly, but once in a return, it does move quickly.

ATX still opens a return for the first time slowly. But after that, it is much better.

ATX still crashes occasionally. But deleting the Assets file will fix that.

There are other quirks that we have learned to work around. The 4562 does not print, no matter what I put in the print manager, in the print options, no matter what.

The return manager does not always hold the status of a return over the network.

Fixed Asset Manager and ATX still do not have a stable link and not all of the current year assets that have been put into FAM are carried over to ATX. I keep thinking I am going to uninstall FAM and just say "to hell with it" but I haven't done so yet. We'll see.

I will be looking at other software after tax season. But that doesn't mean I am going to change. I have a friend that uses Lacerte and her cost was $7000 last year. I can't afford that.

Maribeth

• Like 1

WOW. New computers arrived today and are up and working. What an amazing improvement. Now, hoping that tomorrow's ATX update doesn't mess it up! If ATX had worked this good on day one, I would have no complaints. My only problem now is to catch up on the backlog of work.

• Like 2

WOW. New computers arrived today and are up and working. What an amazing improvement. Now, hoping that tomorrow's ATX update doesn't mess it up! If ATX had worked this good on day one, I would have no complaints. My only problem now is to catch up on the backlog of work.

That is great news! I am also wondering whether or not the update will cause problems. On the other forum someone asked, "What do you think 12.10 will do?" A poster answered, "I think it will make my computer burst into flames, the logical next step."

That was hysterical, but I feel really sorry for those who can't get a return out the door. I sure hope 12.10 helps everybody.

• Like 1

WOW! color me cynical. sorry, charlie...you (15 posts) and fpjst (5 posts) don't pass my smell test.

i have no argument about upgrading older xp/god forbid vista computers to newer w7/god forbid w8 computers.

i don't believe sfa and fpjst give any indication they are computer hardware/software novices new to this board.

i think they can take criticism like big boys. if i'm wrong, i'm wrong and i apologize...we shall see if they stay or go.

about calling me rude..."YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS", john mcenroe...pot/kettle, etc. :scratch_head:

• Like 1